Details features about the 120Go HD version

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by YooY, Aug 7, 2008.

1. YooY

YooY

Hi Folks,

It's pretty difficult to find the exact specs for each configuration. I'm considering to buy the AOA150-1249 blue model with Linpus Linux, 3 cell bat', 120Go HDD. All on-line sellers give the same specs as for the 8Go SSD version:

Width: 9.8" (249 mm)
    Height: 1.14" (29 mm)
    Depth: 6.7" (170 mm)
    Weight: 2.19 lbs (1 kg)
    for instance :
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... etailspecs

I've expected (dreaded would be more exact) that the 120Go version would be more height and a least a little bit heavier since the HDD seems to be a 2.5". So could it be possible that both the version share the sames dimensions and Weight?

Thanks

EDIT : 08/22... same spec, I'm not sure yet for the weight but around 1kg and a stealth bulge, the only difference, see the photos page 2

YooY, Aug 7, 2008
  2. YooY

YooY

BTW, does someone know anything about the HDD? 5400 or 7200 rpm? Good one or cheap one? Sata or Pata (I believe I read somewhere in this Forum that it's a Sata but it was about a 80Go HDD if I remember well).
    Thanks

YooY, Aug 7, 2008
  3. YooY

KiNG

hdd version is just slightly heavier and a tiny bit bigger, mm bigger.

hard drive will be 120gb sata 5400rpm

KiNG, Aug 7, 2008
  4. YooY

YooY

Thanks a lot,
    When you wrote "mm bigger", what did you mean?

YooY, Aug 8, 2008
  5. YooY

Septicmadman

millimeter I'd assume

Septicmadman, Aug 8, 2008
  6. YooY

karel

Just spoke to the Acer pre-sales department.
    Differences are the following:

Nano version: 249/170/29 weight 995 gr.
    HDD version: 249/195/36 weight 1260 gr.

They could not give details on extra power use of the HDD, but it will be higher.
    HDD version in Benelux comes with 3-cell battery, the 6-cell is optional but adds even more width.

Hope this helps

karel, Aug 8, 2008
  7. YooY

iDq

mmm... 2.5 cm... bigger bigger :D I was thinking to return my A110 and purchase the A150 but... 2.5 cm, 265 extra weight and - suspect - less duration of the battery...

iDq, Aug 8, 2008
  8. YooY

YooY

:shock: that's awful
    Well, I'm pretty confused now, the specs you give Karel (thanks) are the one I found for the 6 cell' Bat' with XP and 120Go... According to my seller, the extra length and part of the extra weight comes from the 6 cell bat'... :?
    I will order it, and tell what I'll get. If it's really so deep, I will return it and choose the Nano version.

It's a shame that Acer don''t give the accurate specs for each model they release. :x

If someone owns a AOA150-1249 blue model with Linpus Linux, 3 cell bat', 120Go HDD, please, help ;)

Thanks a lot

YooY, Aug 8, 2008
  9. YooY

YooY

Well, I found a catalogue on Acer.ca and it gives the same weight for both the version, with HDD and with SSD.... I think I'm going to give it a try and let you know what happen.

YooY, Aug 8, 2008
  10. YooY

karel

Guys,

To be sure just place a call to the Acer pre-sales helpdesk.

I knew about the additional width caused by the 6-cell pack so I asked the guy about it specifically and he re-confirmed that the A150 (with HDD) has a width of 195 mm with a 3 cell battery pack!
    Of course not the brightest minds end up at a helpdesk, so please doublecheck other sources if you can.

Goodluck

karel, Aug 9, 2008
  11. YooY

YooY

Thanks Karel,
    Well, I'm looking forward to reading from Acer Canada... I'll let you know what they reply and possibly what I get if order the A150. It's beginning to bother me a little bit. Is it so difficult for a manufacturer to give clear and accurate specs for each model it releases? I don't think so.
    Anyway, thanks for your help

YooY, Aug 10, 2008
  12. YooY

YooY

Ok. now I'm not bothered anymore, but I'm getting angry... It just remember me why I quited from PC for Apple (not the heaven sometimes described by mac-addicted but quite more serious indeed)... I can't afford to be so lazy in my job as PC manufacturers are. On acer.ca, the AOA150-1249 description differs depending on you read the product catalogue (which tell us that it comes with a 120 GoHDD) or the tech specs one the aspire one page (which tell us that it comes with a 8Go SSD, which of course is a nonsense. But is it?).
    You can experience this delicious piece of absurdity here:
    http://www.acer.ca/public/page4.do?link ... nu57_53990
    Please, enjoy it :D
    If someone from Acer read this forum, and you'd better to do it guys, let me tell you that even if I have the conviction that the aspire one is a good machine, I'm not sure it's worth to spend 3 days looking for accurate specifications, particularly depth, width and weight for a netbook product.
    Basically, I give it up and jump for another netbook (or waiting another 10 years that the industry re-invents it) unless someone here who owns it can reassure me or someone from Acer reply to me. I'm still waiting for an answer by the way :( They probably even don't know what they sell.

YooY, Aug 10, 2008
  13. YooY

rjm

The second set of specs must be for the 6-cell battery. A 2.5" HDD does not weigh more than 150g, and requires no additional depth to the case dimensions, though there is a little more thickness in places its not 7mm. The 6 cell battery adds the 25mm of depth at the back, slands downwards so the whole thing is thicker, and adds an additional 100g or so of weight.

rjm, Aug 10, 2008
  14. YooY

DarrenHD

I just got my 120GB version (I previously had the 8GB SDD version - but it died). From what I can tell the weight is about the same, ok maybe a tiny bit more because of HDD...but really I can't remember). But overall the dimensions look exactly the same as the 8GB SDD version)...I cannot tell a difference...but really I would have to have both machines side by side to be 100% sure.

DarrenHD, Aug 10, 2008
  15. YooY

iDq

mmm... how it died? disk drive perhaps?

iDq, Aug 10, 2008
  16. YooY

YooY

Thanks DarrenHD. May I ask if you could measure it, please :oops: ? The weight doesn't matter but the width and depth... It would be definitively more accurate and quick than waiting of Acer.ca or Tigerdirect.ca :roll: Thanks again By the way, do you have a 3 cell battery or a 6 cell battery?

Good question iDq. What happened with your 8Go SSD :shock:

YooY, Aug 11, 2008
  17. YooY

DarrenHD

I can measure it tonight after my work. My original SSD based machine died 2 days after installing a Kingston ram module. I don't know if that is what caused it or not, because DID work fine and recognize the extra ram...i will NOT install that ram in the new machine...maybe I even stay with the standard 1GB...or try another module.

My dealer did replace it for me under warranty, so I just used that money towards the hard drive version (was a bit more expensive at my dealer, but some dealers sell it for the same price).

DarrenHD, Aug 11, 2008
  18. YooY

YooY

It would be very nice, thanks. Just read what Tigerdirect replied to me this morning :
    "We suggest going with the manufacturer's specifications because our specs are derived from the spec sheet given to us by them and we could've been given a spec sheet with typos on them."
    Useful, it isn't it? I specified in my message that the manufacturer doesn't give any specs for each version... Well, I'm not sure I will buy it to them :D but anyway, your measures will decide which model I choose. Thank you very much

So your first Aspire died just like this? :eek: Disturbing, no?

YooY, Aug 11, 2008
  19. YooY

ninjakamster

I got to see the 8gb SSD model and 120gb HDD model at my local Microcenter.

The HDD model has a slight bulge on the bottom on one side of the case and weighs slightly more.

I also noticed that the touchpad buttons were louder on the SSD model than the HDD model. The left button is also louder than the right button on both models.

ninjakamster, Aug 12, 2008
  20. YooY

YooY

Thanks, ninjakamster. Helpful.
    So basically, same width, same depth plus a little bulge and slightly heavier....

YooY, Aug 12, 2008
Ask a Question