Desktop vs Laptop

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by KimmyMarkks, Dec 11, 2015.

1. KimmyMarkks

SirJoe

I can't really choose between the two, both have advantages and disadvantages. I really like the performance you get from a desktop but I like the portability that you get from a laptop.

SirJoe, Mar 11, 2016
  2. KimmyMarkks

Corzhens

I had been on a desktop all my professional life in terms of computer usage. When I was assigned to handle work units in different locations some years ago, I was issued a laptop in replacement of my office desktop. It is logical for a portable laptop to complement my mobility. Well, it took me some months before I finally adapted to using the laptop. I have to admit that I had difficulties particularly with the keyboard and the mouse. Until now I have a corded mouse that I use in my laptop.

But if given a choice, I would take the desktop over the laptop.

Corzhens, Mar 11, 2016
  3. KimmyMarkks

nytegeek

Performance is a non-issue if you choose your computer carefully. My laptop is every bit as fast and functional as any desktop I have used.

nytegeek, Mar 11, 2016
  4. KimmyMarkks

djtech

Oh yeah. I appreciate your love for the bigger monitor. That's why I have a big monitor which gets used anytime I want to do something visual - graphic design, presentation review, etc.

djtech, Mar 12, 2016
  5. KimmyMarkks

Jonah_JJ

Exactly! that detail, that resolution, really helps with creative work. It's like the discussion of where you watch a movie - in the theater or at home. Home=laptop. Fine for regular things. But desktop=movie theater for those big budget action flics. If I'm spending a lot of time working on something with a lot of detail I need to see it - regardless of how the person on the other end will view it. Though I guess that brings up another point - creating something visual on a great monitor and then knowing others might view it on a crappy phone. That's a whole other thing ...

Jonah_JJ, Mar 12, 2016
  6. KimmyMarkks

nytegeek

Yeah I'm still going to say a laptop is better for theater purposes as well. It's called an hdmi port. Any decent television will have one as well.

nytegeek, Mar 12, 2016
  7. KimmyMarkks

Personablue

It totally depends on your requirements and usages.
    Do you value portability over everything?
    Do you value performance?
    Are you a gamer?
    Multimedia consumption?
    et etc.
    First you need to answer these

Personablue, Mar 14, 2016
  8. KimmyMarkks

obliviousme

Laptop of course. Desktop i think is good for heavy intense computer activity like photo editing, video editing and whatnot, but since I don't do any serious computer works, laptop suits well with me. I use it watch movies, blogging and social media.

obliviousme, Apr 30, 2016
  9. KimmyMarkks

nytegeek

Gamers & those seeking performance can find it easily with a laptop these days as well, and you don't need to value portability over everything to get good use from a laptop.

nytegeek, Apr 30, 2016
  10. KimmyMarkks

OursIsTheFury

Desktop can have higher specs than a laptop for lower price, it has a bigger screen, it has better performance, and most especially, you don't move that mousepad whenever you try and type stuff on the keyboard. The only good thing about the laptop is that you can bring it anywhere, and that it has its own battery supply. That's basically it. If you're traveling, be glad you have a laptop. If you just want to play a game at home, definitely use a desktop PC for that, because anything else would just be a disappointment to you.

OursIsTheFury, May 2, 2016
  11. KimmyMarkks

nytegeek

Not necessarily. If you know where to shop and what to buy you can clean up nicely building or purchasing a sufficiently powerful laptop. Also, I think a 17 inch screen on my laptop is plenty big in most cases, but when it isn't I just use the hdmi port with my 65 inch flat-screen TV and whip out the wireless keyboard mouse combo. Disabling a mouse pad takes a couple clicks if you are really that klutzy with the keyboard. All my games run great on my laptop and I have the option of playing them from my couch on a big HD Television so I wouldn't call that a disappointment.

nytegeek, May 2, 2016
  12. KimmyMarkks

b1gal

I have both. My laptop is for school work and portability while my desktop is for gaming and viewing videos and pictures on a much larger scale. It makes it easier to edit pictures and videos that way as well. Overall, I think I prefer the laptop over a desktop due to the mobility and ease of use anywhere.

b1gal, May 11, 2016
    nytegeek likes this.
  13. KimmyMarkks

TheOptical

I prefer desktop. Its faster for a cheaper price, you can build your own more easily and having the larger screen can help. As I am a diehard gamer, it is much cheaper to get a gaming rig than it is to shell out huge sums of money for a gaming laptop

Don't get me wrong though, I do love my laptop when I am travelling. It allows me to catch up on work during them long flights. It's just that if I am at home, I'd rather use my PC than laptop

TheOptical, May 14, 2016
  14. KimmyMarkks

Sworden

Personally, I think it really depends on the person and for what you need a PC for. A desktop will almost always be more 'bang for the buck' compared to laptops, as in general laptop parts are more expensive (there are a few exceptions to this though, as some laptop RAM is cheaper than desktop.)

If you feel that you're going to be travelling or even moving around a lot, then a laptop is definitely the better choice.

If you feel that you're going to be stationary, and that you have some knowledge regarding building/maintaining PCs, then the desktop is the better choice.

In all honesty, there is nothing preventing you from getting both. Instead, the real question is which one should you invest more in.

Sworden, May 14, 2016
  15. KimmyMarkks

psanch

I've been using a desktop for the last three years. I actually really enjoy using it but am still looking to get a laptop as well. While I'm at home I think I'll choose the desktop every time. The only problem is the limited mobility. I want to get a laptop for when I'm on the go so that I don't have to worry about getting back to my desktop to finish work on time.

psanch, May 17, 2016
  16. KimmyMarkks

Lisa Davis

Unfortunately, I have no set work station in my house, so I need a laptop for portability sake, particularly when trying to find some place quiet. However, I have had desktops before, but I think if you are going to just buy a ready-to-use computer from a big box store or a place like Best Buy, you no longer have very many desktop options anymore. Almost everyone is a laptop user nowadays, even in a lot of offices.

Lisa Davis, May 18, 2016
  17. KimmyMarkks

Celia

My vote goes straight to laptop. I love my laptop and the one desktop we own remains virtually untouched in our basement. I love the portability, the ease of use, smaller size and of course the different styles. I sit in my recliner with a laptop desk that has folding legs, storage space, and a mouse pad permanently attached. However, I rarely use my mouse with my laptop as I do love the touch pad that comes with the laptop. So, next time I need a computer when this one no longer works, there is no question in my mind that it will be a laptop PC.

Celia, Jun 2, 2016
  18. KimmyMarkks

Corteno

I've only ever worked with desktop for an extended period of time. Whenever I worked with a laptop, it felt cramped. The keyboard is too small in most cases and they touch pad is a pain in the butt to use. Personally, I prefer working on desktop, but that much change once I move and won't have the space for my current setup, so we'll see.

Corteno, Jun 3, 2016
  19. KimmyMarkks

vinaya

My first computer was a laptop. However, have used desktop more than laptop. From my experience I can say desktop performs better than laptop, and desktop is more durable than laptop. However,. laptop has an advantage, it is portable and light weight.

vinaya, Jun 3, 2016
  20. KimmyMarkks

cluckeyo

I have both. The laptop is my go-to machine when I am relaxing. I can kick back in the recliner and go online. I can do a lot with it, from shopping to blogging, and online tasks. It is really handy and I will always have a laptop. The desktop is best for working on websites, coding, testing, and stuff like that. My desktop has a 27" screen which I use for testing my sites.It is also very important, something I need. I am adding a Chromebox to the mix this week. It will have its place too. It will be awesome for online tasks in my work room. They each have their own purposes and I really need them all.

cluckeyo, Jun 7, 2016
Ask a Question