Desktop vs Laptop

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by KimmyMarkks, Dec 11, 2015.

1. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks

Do you prefer to work off of a laptop or a desk top?
    I personally like the idea of a laptop better since it is portable. However, when I do work I find it more comfortable to use a desk top. Therefore I found the best compromise is a laptop in a docking station.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 11, 2015
  2. KimmyMarkks

Sefie

I used a PC for a very long time, back then we didn't have a lot choices so we had to use a PC most of the time. Back then I dreamed of having a laptop, but they were too expensive for us. So we had no choice but using a PC, now I look back and wonder how I could manage to use a PC for so long. Why I'm saying this? Well, because after years of working with a PC, I noticed that my knees started to hurt really bad.

I can say that for me laptops are more comfortable to work with, because you can work with them anywhere, that is not the case with a PC. I just can never go back to using a PC ever again.

Sefie, Dec 11, 2015
  3. KimmyMarkks

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:I like both if the laptop is big enough and light enough. I've learned the keyboard with a typing class way back in high school. Back then the IT people called it data processing. The computer has come a long way. Now we got choices that is so good for getting a computer to use!

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 12, 2015
  4. KimmyMarkks

diligentworker

It is undeniable that they both offer a number of benefits. I enjoy using my laptop more because I enjoy having the freedom to move from room to room and continue surfing the Web on it. This is especially the case when I'm trying to multitask. Cooking without burning things is a difficult feat if I'm tied down to my chair parked behind my desktop computer.

diligentworker, Dec 12, 2015
  5. KimmyMarkks

IcyBC

I prefer laptop since I can tug it wherever I want to work on and we haven't had a desktop for so many years now that I don't remember the benefits of having it. At the moment, I have two dead desktops which needed to be recycled, but first I must remove the hard drives out of them.

My laptop has served me well as I don't download or play games!

IcyBC, Dec 15, 2015
  6. KimmyMarkks

typist88

Ya, I agree that there are benefits to both. I've been using a laptop so long now also that feeling tied to a desk would be so restrictive. That said, sometimes I like having the laptop on the desk area to have space to spread out sheets of paper or whatnot. Also, having a nice set up with the printer nearby would be helpful as I currently have mine on the floor; it's just inconvenient when I need to print things as its on the side of the bed I don't have much room around. I've been thinking of getting a computer desk just to set up my computer stuff on top of. I guess that's kind of the best of both worlds: use the laptop as a desktop when I want, and other times just take it with me :).

typist88, Dec 16, 2015
  7. KimmyMarkks

diligentworker

That would be a great idea. I have a lap cushion that I use to support my laptop, but your suggestion sounds like a doable plan. Getting a computer desk would be helpful in that it would give me more room to work and hold things, such as my favorite 4-layer lasagna dish. lol

diligentworker, Dec 17, 2015
    typist88 likes this.
  8. KimmyMarkks

typist88

mmm lasagna. Do you have the recipe for that? I've just been thinking of setting up a designated area because I have too much stuff all over the place. Where do you keep your back up CDs? Or mic and earphones? I mentioned the printer already but I also have cords that connect to the tv that are long and need a place to go. I just want to feel more organized. I'm also temped to get a desktop to have a bigger screen. That's probably the one downside of having a laptop; the screen is not as bit as I'd like it to be; I tend to have multiple windows open continuously. I could network the laptop to the PC and then have one of each :). Or figure out how to use a projector.

typist88, Dec 17, 2015
  9. KimmyMarkks

Rezonate

I'm a laptop fan as oppose a desktop I'm always on the go and a laptop always allows me to work on the go no matter where I am. These days laptops are just as capable of what desktops are capable of and are more than affordable. But I do own both just prefer a laptop better.

Rezonate, Jan 4, 2016
  10. KimmyMarkks

mopli

Since I am a gamer that likes to be able to play the high end games, I strongly prefer the desktop. The laptop may be portable but for the price of some laptops you can get a desktop that performs a lot better. I personally also use a laptop for study purposes but I purchased it second hand for less than 100$. I feel like the reason that a laptop is portable doesn't appeal to me as much as high performance does.

mopli, Jan 11, 2016
  11. KimmyMarkks

thess

I love the laptop more too just because you can take it anywhere and be very comfortable with it wherever you want to be. And you can get a mouse to use for your laptop which I love.

thess, Jan 12, 2016
  12. KimmyMarkks

Valithor

Assuming your normal usage doesn't consist of multiple external hard drives and other high-powered devices, Laptops are definitely more convenient.

Valithor, Jan 12, 2016
  13. KimmyMarkks

KO6153

I prefer a laptop, they are easier to use and to transport from place to place. Yes, at times the mouse pad can be frustrating to use, but you can just buy a separate (wireless) mouse to use instead. Not only that, when I am watching Netflix or Hulu on my laptop I can easily change positions and move the laptop where I please, whereas with most computers your options are limited.

KO6153, Jan 20, 2016
  14. KimmyMarkks

Andientor

I prefer a desktop mainly because they usually have a bigger screen and more processing power. Also, you won't ever lose it because you can't really move it without out noticing.

Andientor, Jan 20, 2016
  15. KimmyMarkks

Valithor

This is my favorite post so far! Poor desktop users will never experience the bliss that is playing games while laying in your bed. I used to be a hardcore desktop only guy about 10 years ago until laptops finally started to become more practical for gaming. I have seen laptops with extendable trays that work like a mouse pad and have even seen laptops with a mouse built into the case (you move it by "tilting" it like a joystick but it fits in your hand like a mouse). I've even managed to play true next gen games like Star Citizen on my laptop, so who knows when they'll be the all-around norm?.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Valithor, Jan 20, 2016
  16. KimmyMarkks

Lun

I use my laptop for portability so that I can work outside home or on the move, but when given access to my desktop, I immediately turn to it. Comfortable chair, better monitor and higher resolution, mechanical keyboard. Much more productive than when I'm having to deal with my laptop's spongy keyboard keys that sometimes get dust under them and get harder to press. I didn't spend money on a high-end laptop because there's no need, it'll be uncomfortable either way.

Lun, Jan 23, 2016
  17. KimmyMarkks

vinaya

I always use a laptop even though I know desktops are better and more reliable. My first computer I ever have had was a laptop. Before I bought my laptop, I was using a desktop which was the common computer for in my home.

vinaya, Jan 25, 2016
  18. KimmyMarkks

baldyhead

I like the portability of a laptop. I don't do anything overly resource intensive, so i don't need a high end graphics card or excessive memory.

I usually connect it to a dock to get extra displays and a easy way to quickly get a keyboard and mouse.

baldyhead, Jan 25, 2016
  19. KimmyMarkks

djtech

Laptop all the way. However, for really heavy lifting, a desktop is the best. But for personal use, i don't see any reason not to use a laptop.

djtech, Jan 27, 2016
  20. KimmyMarkks

Jonah_JJ

I love using a desktop for visual things. But that's because I have a big desktop monitor and everything shows up better there. For everyday I prefer the laptop. I can change my environment without compromising my work pace.

Jonah_JJ, Mar 11, 2016
Ask a Question