Desktop Search Bar

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by che2269, Sep 8, 2008.

1. che2269

che2269

how to make disappear the desktop search bar from the desktop?
    (i am new to linux, full explanation please?)
    thanks!!

che2269, Sep 8, 2008
  2. che2269

lotus49

Press alt+F2, a window should pop, up. Enter
    Code:
    killall acer-search-desktop
    and press return, that does it for me.

lotus49, Sep 8, 2008
  3. che2269

Spyder

Do you have to do that every time you boot up or is that just a one shot go? I removed it from my add/remove software and still the thing comes back.

Spyder, Sep 8, 2008
  4. che2269

rbil

The search bar gets started each time you boot your computer by running a script that is located in:

/usr/share/search-bar/

The script is called: start-search_bar.sh

If you want you can comment out every line in that script and the search bar will no longer be launched at startup.

First let's backup the file, just in case:

cd /usr/share/search-bar/
    sudo cp start-search_bar.sh start-search_bar.sh.backup

Now let's edit the script file by placing a comment character at the start of every line that doesn't already have one (#):

sudo mousepad start-search_bar.sh

Save the file and restart your computer. You should no longer have the search bar loaded.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 10, 2008
  5. che2269

Motoko.A150L

Here's a more elegant way of disabling the desktop search bar.

Rather than attacking the search bar script and making it do nothing, why not just prevent the script from being called on in the first place? Here's how...

1) Startup a terminal (ALT-F2 , leave input box empty, tick "Run in terminal" and press run)

2) Enter this in the terminal window -> sudo mousepad /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc

3) Find the line that says -> Client3_Command=/usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh

4) Place a # in front of it to comment it out.

5) Reboot and the search bar disappears ;)

Motoko.A150L, Sep 18, 2008
  6. che2269

jcm

I was told that you can uninstall it in Add/remove programs. :|

jcm, Sep 19, 2008
  7. che2269

newgenmotorsports

yep that last set of commands works for removing the search bar it also managed to disable my wifi show my battery as being plugged in oh and lets not forget all the error messages or not being able to access the command a second time to fix it.

if you got screwed by that last persons version of how to remove the bar heres how you can get back in to fix it

open a terminal and type sudo thunar

this will get you in to the root user version of your file manager then in the top bar type /etc/xdg//xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc
    go back and delete the # that you put in front of the command line save reboot and don't listen to at least 50% of the people on the hacks forum cause you'll just end up with a lot of headaches :evil: :evil:

newgenmotorsports, Jan 17, 2009
  8. che2269

wollac

why are you doing such complicated methods?!!!!

This is actually very easy! You just need to uninstall the acer search bar using the add/remove programs then open the terminal and end the process by typing: "killall acer-search-desktop" (without quotes) then it is closed and won't return when you restart because you have installed it! believe me this works i have done it on mine and a lot of other aspire ones and it works perfectly! Also if you did want to get it back you just re-install it launch it again by pressing alt+F2 to open the run window and then typing "acer-search-desktop" and just hit enter to launch it!

Simple!

Hope this helps

wollac

wollac, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question