Desktop not Filling display fully , black stripe on Right

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by absorber1, Nov 22, 2008.

1. absorber1

torque

I have had this same problem with my two month old Acer one (with linux). Sent in in for repair two weeks ago, received it back today 'fixed'. Worked OK the first time I turned it on, so I did the online update, restored all my data, then shut it off for supper. After supper, turned it back on, and the *?/#* problem was back! Same 3/4 screen display in both the BIOS screen and the OS. Acer obviously didn't (or couldn't) fix it. I even enclosed pictures of the screen to show them what it was doing, because the problem is intermittent.

Don't know what to do next. I'm reluctant to send it back again.

David

torque, Feb 15, 2009
  2. absorber1

sluddsy

Hi,

Am also suffering the same problem, did you manage to resolve this?

If so how?

Thanks

sluddsy, Feb 28, 2009
  3. absorber1

torque

As an update, I contacted Acer Support and they agreed to look at it again 'at their expense'. The courier picked it up, asked how it was going to be paid, I said Acer was paying this time so collect from them. A few days later I get a call from the courier saying Acer refused to pay the shipping so wouldn't accept the package! I couldn't get in contact with the repair warehouse or Acer Customer support ('not available at this time' is the message I kept getting). And I refused to pay shipping a second time with no guarantee of success. So it is on it's way back to me undelivered. I am so mad with Acer!

One thing I did try before sending it out was changing the boot priority order in the setup menu (F2). Others had thought perhaps the system was reading bad display information from the operating system on bootup so I thought having the BIOS look elsewhere on bootup might work. And it did seem to work for a few days, but then the problem returned again.

When I get the computer back I'm thinking I might try restoring the system to it's initial default setup (with the recovery disk) and not do any updates. It is after I did the updates that this problem appeared.

David

torque, Feb 28, 2009
  4. absorber1

David-W

Sorry to bump an ageing topic but I dont see the point making a new one.
    In the end I sent it off for repair, sent it on monday arrived back on thursday :) (UK) The piece of paper stated that they had replaced the lcd ribbon cable and updated the bios... Anyway to those with the linux version I would sugest you contact acer and send it away as ut appears to be a hardware fault(for me at least). I would of though quality control would have picked this up but I geuss they test the motherboard and the screen seperately...

David-W, Mar 13, 2009
  5. absorber1

torque

David-W:

Now that you have had your computer back for a week did they fix the problem? Can you say with certainty that it is fixed?

David

torque, Mar 22, 2009
Ask a Question