Desktop not Filling display fully , black stripe on Right

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by absorber1, Nov 22, 2008.

1. absorber1

absorber1

Windows XP , 160 gb version , started up and desktop not Filling display fully , black stripe on Right, like its a six inch screen ??? Display settings don't
    show 1024x600 ??? so rebooted and did restore then it finally came back !!! any one else have this problem ever ??? I am i missing driver ??

thanks , just trying to make sense

absorber1, Nov 22, 2008
  2. absorber1

David-W

I have the same thing on my 120gb, 1gb Linux. First boot and to the right of the display is a black stripe and the bottom of the screen is repeating the top. I haven't had time to try changing the settings yet. Looks to me like settings not a hardware problem.... Its like that on the bios screen too. I'll try flashing it Later.

David-W, Nov 23, 2008
  3. absorber1

absorber1

thats it , are you going to flash bios ?? thanks :D

absorber1, Nov 23, 2008
  4. absorber1

David-W

I think I will as I'm sure the display isn't damaged. Its brand new and if its on the bios/splash screen then it isn't the Os its the bios... Mine came with 3114 I think.

EDIT: Just found this: If Bios doesn't help then I will have to return it..

David-W, Nov 23, 2008
  5. absorber1

absorber1

Thankyou, Thank you, :mrgreen: , thats it , its working fine now but I just dont know when its going to happen again ??
    Did you upgrade Ram ??? (i did to 1.5gig) I read in service manual that display probs could be related to Ram ??

absorber1, Nov 23, 2008
  6. absorber1

David-W

Nope stock ram (1gb). I just need my Mem stick back so I can flash it. What does the "recovery" involve?

David-W, Nov 23, 2008
  7. absorber1

absorber1

Brings it back to stock and reformats C drive (you lose all your stuff unless u backup)

absorber1, Nov 23, 2008
  8. absorber1

David-W

Done a bios update and recovery still there. Maybe I should install xp..

EDIT: Xp Installed same problem. If I set the res to 1024x768 or 800x600 I get the thing where if you go over to the edge it the screen moves... Maybe return time... Its just not utalising the entire display.

It would appear that my screen is locked to 480 across as you can see in "Monitot Souuported modes" any ideas? :

[​IMG]

David-W, Nov 27, 2008
  9. absorber1

absorber1

I am going to try and send a message to the youtube author of that video link , see what he did ??? mine is still normal , you could also try this software ( a1ctl_v0.4 ) fan and sreen control software

absorber1, Nov 28, 2008
  10. absorber1

agrajag

Hi,

I uploaded the youtube video and finally found a solution

If you look at your system DISPLAY settings it will say 1024x768 Flat Panel instead of Plug n Play monitor.

You need to delete the setting by going into START....Control Pany...SYSTEM....Display...righ click 1024x768 Flat panel and delete it...

Reboot and it should reload the the correct drivers.

Basically you need to force it to know the display is a Plug n Play monitor

It drove me crazy because the Bios Post screen also displays like this which made me think it wasn't the OS, but the bios/Post screen seems somehow to take the last settings of the display driver used from the os.

Now the big question is - How do we force the A1 not to change monitor settings?

Good Luck

agrajag, Nov 28, 2008
  11. absorber1

absorber1

Thankyou for your response , :D :D :D :D

Cheers

absorber1, Nov 28, 2008
  12. absorber1

opsanderson

I've had this same problem, only with the Linux version....thanks for the pointers guys, but I'm still stuck, probably because I'm a Linux novice and have no clue how to change things.

I ran 'Xvidtune' from the terminal, which looked like it would offer me the chance to centre my display and stretch it, but every time I made a change, the error

'Sorry: You have requested a mode-line That is not possible, or not supported by your hardware configuration'

was displayed. This utility was also reporting my resolution as 800x480.

After a bit of digging, I had a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf

which had

Modeline "1024x600" 48.6 1024 1064 1168 1312 600 601 604 622 -HSync +VSync

I'm pretty sure this is the heart of the problem, but I have no idea how to change it. Any ideas? The Modeline I think is right, but I want to change the 800x480 setting. The system information is reporting 1024x600, so clearly there is some confusion.

opsanderson, Nov 28, 2008
  13. absorber1

David-W

I was playing with xorg.conf and got nowhere all it did was move what was displayed in the screen around.... I will try the xp thing. Maybe returning it would be better.
    Mine is the same locked to 800x480.

David-W, Nov 28, 2008
  14. absorber1

opsanderson

I can confirm that the BIOS picks up whatever resolution settings the OS left it with. I wiped the harddrive, installed Ubuntu, and still I have the same problem.

opsanderson, Nov 30, 2008
  15. absorber1

David-W

Same for me, restored to linpus and a bios update then upgraded(Is it?) to xp same problem.

David-W, Nov 30, 2008
  16. absorber1

retsaw

I get this when I boot when my AA1 is cold, I leave it for a few minutes preferably running something graphics intensive and turning the fan off, to let it warm up, then I reboot and it, then the display is usually back to normal. I figured it was related to the temperature as I didn't have this problem when I got my AA1 in the summer, but it has got more frequent as the weather has got colder. When resuming from suspend, this has never been an issue, and since I normally suspend rather then turn it off, this issue doesn't effect me much. I guess this is some sort of hardware bug, since it effect the BIOS screen as well and seems to effect all OSes equally

For the record I have an A110L 8GB SSD with BIOS v0.3109, tri-booting Linpus, Arch Linux and Puppy Linux. I do wonder if this would be fixed by a BIOS upgrade, but I haven't got round to trying that yet and I don't really want to lose the lower screen brightness settings.

retsaw, Dec 10, 2008
  17. absorber1

opsanderson

Ok, mine is solved.

After figuring that if I disconnected everything, took out the battery and the bios battery and deleted the relevant registry entries, there was no way it could 'remember' the wrong monitor settings, I proceeded.

I deleted the MS0003 registry keys as far as possible.

I opened up the base of the computer (plenty of tutorials here) and took out the motherboard battery.

No luck- it reset the system time, but booting into Windows recreated the registry keys, and the screen was still too small.

So I thought there might be settings somehow stored behind/in the screen. I dismantled the base, dismantled the screen, and disconnected everything that was possible to disconnect. After reassembly, it seems to have worked and be registered as a P&P monitor that supports whatever modes you want from it. Don't bother messing with the registry, just take everything apart and put it all back together again. I think taking apart the screen only, particularly undoing the two white connectors at the top, should probably do it, but no data. Good luck.

opsanderson, Dec 14, 2008
  18. absorber1

agrajag

I have found using a restore point helpful in Windows.

agrajag, Dec 14, 2008
  19. absorber1

Jediphx

Hi i have this exact same problem and it happened after i added 1 gig of ram to the Aspire. Even after I put back in the 512 stick, restored and even reflashed the 3309 bios it still does this. I have deleted the 3 Digital Flat panels that keep showing up in my Device manager but they just get put back in there. Any other ideas?

Jediphx, Jan 14, 2009
  20. absorber1

Jediphx

I have tried everything I can think of and I still have this issue. I guess I have no choice but to send to acer for warranty repair. I tried deleting the monitor, doing a fresh restore, changing drivers, reflashing bios and nothing works.

Jediphx, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question