Dell Precision M4400 Touchpad/Pointing Stick Issues

Discussion in 'Dell' started by OnionAvenue, May 25, 2017.

1. OnionAvenue

OnionAvenue

I purchased the M4400 as it was probably the best laptop I could find for the price. I like it and it has served as a good replacement for the much more costly Lenovo I was using before. However, the drivers for the touchpad are utter garbage.

Having a pointing stick, it has mouse buttons just bellow the spacebar to serve as the mouse buttons for it, I find it much more convenient to just use those buttons in conjunction with the touchpad, It feels more natural and it's easier to tell which of the three mouse buttons I'm clicking. When I use them however, it causes my touchpad to freeze input momentarily (as in no matter how I swing my finger the pointer will not move after clicking these buttons). I know why they did this, they wanted to prevent inputs from both devices at once, almost as if they didn't trust my fine motor skills to just not touch the other input.

Since I do not want and can't seem to rewire my brain to use the touchpad differently, my options are to either use the default Windows mouse drivers which are ridiculously sluggish and skip pixels when adjusted to a comfortable speed, find some way to modify the touchpad driver, if that's even possible, or confide myself entirely to using Debian instead of Windows which has none of the prior issues.

I'll probably be going with the third option since the first two are either extremely undesirable or unfeasible. It's such a simple problem that it could probably be fixed by modifying a single line of code though I wouldn't know where to start.

I can't be the only person who finds this annoying and I know this isn't an issue exclusive to this laptop. Maybe I'm just crazy and the laptop manufacturers and driver programmers just understand ergonomics more than, you know, my hands.

OnionAvenue, May 25, 2017
Ask a Question