Dell Inspiron 15 7000 vs Acer Aspire 7

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by csaxon, Jun 5, 2018.

1. csaxon

csaxon

I have just brought an Dell inspiron 7000 and while it is quiet under light conditions I find it unbearably noisy if I am playing games. The games I play are not very system intensive such as the sims and civilisation iv and to get the fan to a bearable level I have to put it on power saving mode and run the graphics at low. I realise gaming laptops aren't silent but the noise this makes on fan speeds of 4000k+ for these types of games is horrible. The fans also seem to rev up quite early heat wise and from various message boards I have read, I think this may be a problem with this model. I am also worried if it will start getting noisier in summer when its hotter under a light load. I have tried various options such as disabling turbo boost, contacting dell support and downloading latest thermal framework. I have tried downloading various fan control problems but they don't work with this computer.

I am contemplating returning it and buying an Acer Aspire 7 (both have 16GB ram and 256GB SSD), does anyone know what they are like compared to the inspirion noise wise? This is both for under load and light as I also use the laptop more for work and I actually like how quiet the dell is on light loads. I only use laptops on benches not on my lap and I use external keyboards when playing games so I care less about how hot it gets and more how noisy it is (I would rather have a hotter, but quieter laptop). I realise the Acer only has as GTX 1050 not a GTX 1050 ti like the Dell but I am presuming it can still run games such as the sims. The Acer has an i7-8750H core compared to the dells i7-7700HQ and I am aware they both use a lot of power but does one run cooler? They also both have two fans but I was wondering if one of these two were known to be quieter than the other. I would also like to know if programs like speedfan run on Acer as they don't on the Dell. As I use an external monitor I don't care about the screen, my main priority is noise (both at idle and under load).

csaxon, Jun 5, 2018
Ask a Question