Dell 1390 Questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by imcrazy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. imcrazy

imcrazy

I have heard that this WLAN card works perfect in OS X, however I am also wondering if the same is true for Linux? I am using openSuse. I hate messing around with that madwifi nonsense and if this will solve both my problems I'm sold.

Also is there anyway of installing this card without voiding the warranty (like in the expansions slot)?

Lastly, has anyone noticed an improvement with signal quality and or speed with this card?

imcrazy, Sep 4, 2008
  2. imcrazy

imcrazy

Looks like I will be answering my own questions yet again. I do this in the hope that this will help someone else.

Yes this card works perfectly in OS X and yes it is very easy to get working in linux (although it doesn't work natively at least not with openSuse 11). You can use my guide here to get it working: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3808

No there is no way of installing the card without voiding your warranty. You need to open the unit up and replace the stock card with this one.

Signal quality seems to be about the same as the stock card (which is to say it is quite good), although I'm finding this one a little faster. It may be my imagination though.

Overall it is an excellent card and very cheap and easy to find (got mine off ebay for 17 dollars shipping included).

imcrazy, Sep 21, 2008
Ask a Question