Deleting Linux Limpus Lite and installing XP

Discussion in 'Linux' started by shanerz_acer, Dec 5, 2008.

1. shanerz_acer

shanerz_acer

Hi Guys, my name is Shane nice to meet you.
    Im hoping you guys can help me out. Just purchased a Acer One from Newegg.
    I cant for the life of me be content with this linux limpus lite. Ive modified it and had some fun with it but its too complicated for me.
    I need my windows back badly. Ive tried installing it via USB-CDROM Drive and I get the blue screen of death soon as the drivers and such load. No more than 2 minutes into it it says "critical error".
    It says windows is starting up and then it never goes any farther so I can delete the partitions.
    Ive searched the forum and tried some things, but none with any luck.
    Can someone please let me know how to delete linux limpus lite.
    I have a USB Stick so It would be awsome if I could use that to somehow format the drive and get it ready for XP. But I dont know what program or how.
    PLEASE HELP

shanerz_acer, Dec 5, 2008
  2. shanerz_acer

ivor

you probably want to ask in the windows forum or call microsoft support.
    your problem is not linux related and people in this forum are probably not familiar with installing windows.

ivor, Dec 6, 2008
  3. shanerz_acer

RockDoctor

I can't help regarding installing Windows, and I don't know what tools are available for formatting the SSD other than Linux programs that in all likelihood should be run from something other than the SSD. However, I do know how to delete Linpus Lite from your SSD. If you do this, you'll be left with no operaitng system at all, but if that's what you really really truly want, then from a terminal window
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
    . There is no recovery from this, so bve absolutely sure that's what you want before doing it.

RockDoctor, Dec 6, 2008
  4. shanerz_acer

flamingswrd

Regardless of how you feel towards Linpus, I hope you know what your doing. Installing a "heavier" OS (this applies to Windows, Linux and Mac) on the supplied SSD can cripple your machine, and not to mention there have been reports of up to 4 hours of wait time for it to complete.
    I would recommend you find a slimmer alternative to XP.
    Linux: DSL, Puppy Linux, Kuki Linux (coming soon), etc. (search for more of them on the forums)
    Windows: TinyXP....(sorry, I am not familiar with slim windows OS's)

flamingswrd, Dec 6, 2008
  5. shanerz_acer

RockDoctor

Doing a proper Linux install shouldn't cripple the machine. However, running Puppy from a USB stick means no install at all

RockDoctor, Dec 6, 2008
  6. shanerz_acer

flamingswrd

By cripple I meant run slower than usual, compared with a slimmer OS.

flamingswrd, Dec 6, 2008
  7. shanerz_acer

RockDoctor

By slimmer, do you mean uses less disk space or uses fewer system resources? I can (and have, on my AA1) slimmed down both Fedora and Ubuntu by getting rid of as much of GNOME as I can and installing what is more-or-less an LXDE desktop. Freed up somewhere around a GB of disk space, got virtually all of the functionality I need. The fastest OS I've seen is Puppy Linux running in RAM.

But I have to say, no Linux-based OS I've tried is anywhere near as slow as Windows XP on my AA1.

RockDoctor, Dec 6, 2008
  8. shanerz_acer

hayagix

He could search out Ron's TinyXP for Acer Aspire One. There may be a MicroXp for the One out there somewhere too.

hayagix, Dec 7, 2008
  9. shanerz_acer

shanerz_acer

Ok I formatted the SSD got linux off. But I still get a BSOD installing windows.

Soon as the initial drivers load I get a BSOD.

Setup is loading.......(it says it on the bottom of the screen)
    Then I get a BSOD.

Help PLease!

shanerz_acer, Dec 7, 2008
  10. shanerz_acer

dale

try using other cd installer. maybe its the cd that causes such BSOD. this happens when the CD has scratches therefore corrupting the data.

hope i helped you. :D

dale, Dec 9, 2008
  11. shanerz_acer

AustinPower

Hi there. yep, it shd be the CD that's causing the problem. How I know? becos I spent 2 days trying to figure out this problem also till I gotten another Wins CD to try it out and voila no more BSOD and install wins on this tiny machine. Try another CD and see whether it works!

AustinPower, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question