Deleting files/applications and lost disk space

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by barrie, Nov 15, 2008.

1. barrie

barrie

Hi to all,

I have a slight issue regarding deleting files and lost disk space, I have noticed that when I delete a file or remove an application using the add and remove option or just deleting them they get sent to the trash folder at this location.
    Files>My files>local>Share>Trash.

There does not seem a way to fully delete these files from the system hence I ma loosing disk space.:cry:

Is there a command I can use to completely clean this Trash folder?
    Help would be gratefully appreciated.

My OS is Linps Linux on an Acer Aspire one.(new)fully updated system.

Regards
    barrie

barrie, Nov 15, 2008
  2. barrie

daldred

Open any file manager in the Files section of your desktop and from the window menu select Go >> Trash. Empty Trash then appears on the File menu.

daldred, Nov 15, 2008
  3. barrie

barrie

Hi daldred,

Thanks for your quick reply; I’m still very new and finding my way around the OS. :)
    I will try this tonight when home. One more question is there an option to add a trashcan Icon to the panel bar?

Regards
    Barrie

barrie, Nov 15, 2008
  4. barrie

daldred

I can't see any easy way to show the trash icon in the standard view, but if you do View >> Side Pane >> Tree the trash icon will appear in this view. You can right-click and empty it from here instead, if you prefer.

daldred, Nov 15, 2008
  5. barrie

barrie

Hi daldred,

No problem the only reason I asked was I use this notebook for on the move stuff and tend to forget to delete things, and it was only the diminishing disk space I was seeing that prompted me to ask about the trashcan.
    Having an Icon would prompt the old grey cells to clean things out more regularly. But I am happy just to know now how I can full delete any file/object. :)

Regards
    barrie

barrie, Nov 15, 2008
Ask a Question