Deleting download, not in yum extender

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Heifer, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Heifer

Heifer

Help

I know it wasn't the right way but I tried to install Opera by downloading from their website :oops: I've since got firefox doing what I wanted (tabs etc) so don't need the opera download that didn't work. The download doesn't show up in the yum extender and I only know I've got it if I search for it on the desktop, the thing is I want rid but don't know how :(

Any ideas
    Thanks
    H

Heifer, Jan 11, 2009
  2. Heifer

Huw

How did you install Opera to begin with? Did you download an RPM package from the website and install via yum or rpm?

Huw, Jan 11, 2009
  3. Heifer

Heifer

I downloaded it via their website in a fit of "click here-ness", not using yum. I don't know what a RPM package is, sorry. I only know I have something as the desktop search can find it. It's showing 3 parts, 2 in usr/share/xfce4/helpers and one in usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload. I'm v.thick when it comes to this but v.keen to learn

Thanks
    H

Heifer, Jan 11, 2009
  4. Heifer

Huw

OK, I'm doing the same thing now to recreate what you did. I assume you downloaded one of the packages and told Firefox to just install it instead of simply saving it to disk? Anyway, I've just done that and I can't even find Opera in my menus. Can't run it from the terminal either, or from alt-f2. I get similar results to you using the desktop search (I must remember to install the excellent locate at some point).

My guess at the moment, then, would be that it doesn't install properly on this version of Linux, at least the package that you and I have tried. Unless you have managed to get it running? Anyway, those files that the desktop search found are tiny, and are very probably the results of a failed install script. You can probably delete them with no ill effect if you wish, but from what I can tell there's no actual Opera to uninstall.

Huw, Jan 11, 2009
  5. Heifer

Heifer

Blimey, I can't believe you recreated it to find out what I'd done! Thank you.

So if I don't have it I don't have a problem :lol:

Being of tidy mind any idea how to delete the bits of script?

Heifer, Jan 11, 2009
  6. Heifer

Huw

You're welcome. :)

The install script would only have been saved in a temporary directory, since you didn't save the download onto your disk (you just asked Firefox to run it immediately). Don't worry about it, it'll be purged - probably the next time you boot. As for those Opera files, just navigate to the directories, right-click the files, and select delete. Be sure you're only deleting the Opera files though.

If you're not feeling brave enough to do that after all, don't worry. They're very tiny files and they won't do any harm if they stay put.

Huw, Jan 11, 2009
Ask a Question