Delete info for factory crapo software...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Eosblue, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Eosblue

Eosblue

It would be nice if someone could post a list of all the factory crapo software that comes with a new Acer Aspire One so that a new user can delete as much of it as desired before using the computer. I find ONCE a person clicks on one of these crapo programs, it becomes harder to get rid of all the garbage it can install in various folders.

I'm getting my XP 160GB on the 25th and the first thing to go will be the Word/Office 30 day trial version as I'm going with my '03 Office Pro. The ONLY software I want on the computer is XP.

Eosblue, Dec 21, 2008
  2. Eosblue

erfn

My impression is that you wanted a typewriter, but accidentally bought this nice little netbook. AA1 is a true small size computer, so do not expect miracles from it. It is however powerful enough to handle well many moderately demanding tasks.

What do you gain by uninstalling software? On the contrary, you should be looking into installing even more software to make your life easier. The choice is personal, so no one can give you an advise what to install/uninstall.

erfn, Dec 23, 2008
  3. Eosblue

nmesisca

never install redundant or useless software and yes definitely remove the trials in favour of full versions.
    other than that, it isnt severely limited as a laptop..
    could do with a second core for Visual Studio though

nmesisca, Dec 23, 2008
  4. Eosblue

info

I think you will find that there isn't really much "crapware" installed on the AAO (the 1Gig XP 160 version boots in 30 seconds and awakens in 5). I was immediately going to delete McAfee Internet Security and replace it with freeware but, since it seems so well configured for this little machine (it's not the entire Suite but includes quite a lot), I've decided to leave it on for the trial period at least. It may be worth it to have an integrated solution for malware and McAffee seems to have gotten a lot better (many useful features). The huge McAfee SiteAdvisor icon in Firefox is almost vulgar in its way of hogging real estate there (a shame because it's quite a good tool, but replaceable with WOT). The other day I had a chat session with McAfee and they came on immediately and were quite helpful.

I've also decided to leave MS Office on the AAO in spite of the fact that I've never used it, in case I need to test something sometime. I don't believe the trial has begun since I haven't clicked on it, and I don't think it's running any processes in the background that I recognize (I may be wrong about that). You may be pleasantly surprised at well configured the AAO is.

Congrats on a wise purchase and Good Luck!

info, Dec 23, 2008
  5. Eosblue

Photomonk

When I got my AAO (A few days early since it was my Christmas gift to me :D ) I found really the only programs I did not want and unistalled were the trial version of Office, since like you I had a full licensed version of Office 2003 I could install, and McAfee, since again I had an anti-virus program that I trust more and will not slow my machine down. Other than that, the software is pretty basic and really is not a collection of trial versions and junk like some other manufacturers.

Photomonk, Dec 24, 2008
  6. Eosblue

maxpower2003

Upon first boot up, I uninstalled InterDVD, McAfee, Microsoft Office 2007 Trial and Activation Wizard, Google Desktop and Browser search toolbar and took everything out of the Startup folder. I can't say it makes my AAO any faster but it gets rid of crap I really don't need.

Oh, and Microsoft Works. Who needs that when you have your own copy of Office?

Acer also has it's own screensaver installed so you can delete that too if you want.

Is there anything I've missed? lol

maxpower2003, Dec 25, 2008
Ask a Question