Definitive List Of Services/Sessions That Can Be Turned Off

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Andysan, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Andysan

Andysan

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a definitive list of Sessions and Services that it is safe to turn off please? I'm using a pretty vanilla Intrepid installation with a few tweaks and a stock kernel, getting a 90 second boot time to the desktop so i want to try and streamline my installation a bit. I've tried Sickboys kernel and had difficulty compiling from source thereafter so I'm stock again.

I have taken a look around both the AAO and Ubuntu forums and not found much regarding what is safe to turn off. I've obviously turned off Bluetooth under sessions, but am not sure what else to touch. Is it just as simple as if i don't use printing i can turn it off, or will there be any adverse affects? I notice the sessions window requires a password to meddle which is why i am concerned of breaking stuff.

Cheers. :D

Andysan, Jan 31, 2009
  2. Andysan

Joeb

Yes, if you aren't using something, like printing, you can turn off cups. Same with bluetooth. However, those won't make a large difference in your boot time. The stock ubuntu kernel is loading all kinds of drivers to support all kinds of different hardware. That takes time. What you need is a streamlined kernel. If you go to www.kuki.me you can download a kernel from there that will improve your boot performance greatly. Plus, sound and wifi will work, along with suspend (not sure about hibernate).

Joeb, Feb 1, 2009
  3. Andysan

csmo

csmo, Feb 1, 2009
  4. Andysan

Andysan

Hi Joeb, csmo - thanks for your replies.

I've installed the Sickboy-Kuki kernel, but when i try and rebuild my MadWiFi drivers i get the following:

Code:
    can't cd to /lib/modules/2.6.28-sickboy-kuki/build
    Makefile.inc:66: *** /lib/modules/2.6.28-sickboy-kuki/build is missing.  please set KERNELPATH.  Stop.
    I've installed the image & headers only. I'll have to scour the forums for a solution to this. I also notice that this Kernel doesn't include the IPAQ drive which is desired, so thats another thing i've gotta look out for.

Thanks for your link too csmo, will take a looksy.

Andysan, Feb 2, 2009
  5. Andysan

mh-

Start gdm (or your login manager of choise) earlier in runlevel2. Not timed it but it feels faster. IIRC policykit had to run before it, so::

sudo mv /etc/rc2.d/S30gdm /etc/rc2.d/S02gdm

mh-, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question