Deep Sleep / Hibernation

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by chuckcalo, Feb 12, 2009.

1. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

I'm quoting this from InsanelyMac
    However, I can't get it to work. Everytime I press Sleep I get a Kernel Panic. I'm using iAktos 10.5.6 w/ 9.6 Andy Kernel.

Have anyone had success with this ?

chuckcalo, Feb 12, 2009
  2. chuckcalo

robo

It has not worked for me either. There have been a couple threads already on this. Keep in mind that even for the people it's working for, it's not that reliable.

robo, Feb 12, 2009
  3. chuckcalo

Shoesy

My aaone never kp's anymore and it hibernates everytime. However two problems as stated in the first post- no sound after hibernaqte wake up and occasionally (about 1 times in ten) it wont wake up. This is resolved by pressing f8 on startup and using the -nowake switch.

When I first set this up I too couldn't get it to work, the most important tip is to make sure you are not using secure virtual memory. I can only advise that you double check you have turned this off in system preferences/security/use virtual memory, as it is on by default.

Maybe I will try updating my version of chameleon, as the OP's quote seems to suggest that it is more reliable.

Hope this helps x

Shoesy, Feb 12, 2009
  4. chuckcalo

Shoesy

Just had a little play with this myself, and realized the build of chameleon available from the official site doesn't seem to support hibernation- I would recommend

PCEFI V9 aka Chameleon V1.0.12 by netkas: http://netkas.org/?p=74

works (9/10!), but the new graphical chameleon they are talking about now looks really exciting. Hope this all helps my lovelies x

Shoesy, Feb 12, 2009
  5. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

But that's the one I'm using! I either get a Kernel Panic or my screen just turns black and the power button won't turn off (just like it does in Windows that it goes orange).

How does it look for you? And how do you wake it up from Hibernation ?

chuckcalo, Feb 12, 2009
  6. chuckcalo

Shoesy

I just close the lid to sleep my aaone (I use the smartsleep preference panel set to hibernate only) and the harddrive light flashes away for a while (writing the image to disc) and then goes out.

To wake up I open the lid, press the power button as usual, you see the bios screen, then the the efi says

Starting hibernate
    /
    Wake kernel!

a few seconds later the os (usually!) pops up where I left it (minus sounds).

Shoesy, Feb 12, 2009
  7. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

I don;t know, I think I'm doing someting wrong; can you point me to where I can download that pc efi/chameleon something something ? Thanks

chuckcalo, Feb 12, 2009
  8. chuckcalo

robo

I think there's two different kinds of problems here. For people who have hibernate working, the computer always _goes_ into hibernation, but sometimes cannot wake up from it.

Those of us who can't get it working (and I think we all used the iATKOS build) find that the computer kernel panics or hangs when it tries to hibernate, either through closing the lid or by selecting 'Sleep' in the OS. Mostly, I saw my screen go black, the HD light start to flash, and then, it would just stop flashing, and the computer would sit there with the fan going.. Once or twice I saw the kernel panic screen, but either way it was a KP on hibernate.

And yes, secure virtual memory was off.

There is some difference between the iATKOS build and others that causes this, but nobody seems to have any idea what it is.

robo, Feb 13, 2009
  9. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

That's exactly what's happening with my AAO, the fan keeps running but the HDD activity goes off.

There's certainly something we're missing here.

chuckcalo, Feb 13, 2009
  10. chuckcalo

powaq

Sigh, I hope someone finds the solution to this sleep issue. It's the only thing holding me back from installing OSX on my AOne.

powaq, Feb 13, 2009
  11. chuckcalo

Shoesy

Just to confirm I use Kalyway xXx 10.55

Shoesy, Feb 13, 2009
  12. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

But my guess is there shouldn't be a difference within different distros because at the end, their point is to offer "drivers" none of the others have but at the end in the Aspire One's case we just end up only installing the basics (os, apple bios, ethernet drivers). So I don't think that should make a difference.

If you have Hibernation working please post your input here, if it works for you then it should work for everyone.

chuckcalo, Feb 13, 2009
  13. chuckcalo

simonj23

I've managed to successfully get hibernation working, as other people have said, the lack of sleep or similar was the only thing stopping me going completely to OSX on AAO. It now takes about 15 seconds from pressing the power button to a fully restored desktop. The only issue seems to be that sound doesn't work after wake but that doesn't really matter to me.

I used iPC 10.5.6 which was very easy to install - there's a guide here -
    http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=149173

Things that seem to be vital are :-
    PC_EFI v9 Chameleon 1.0.12 - I installed this from UInstaller, an app that comes with the iPC install. The default EFI that gets installed is 1.0.11, which doesn't work
    Voodoo 9.5.0
    Turn off secure virtual memory in System Preferences->Security
    Install Smartsleep http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html and set to hibernate only

My BIOS version is v0.3304 but I've just done the same install on an AAO with v0.3114 and everything seems to work.

I was getting occasional kernel panics on wake but this seems to be related to a Three 3G mobile broadband modem and possibly to hyperthreading, or both. Now that I have set cpus=1 in com.apple.Boot.plist and unplug the modem before hibernating I haven't seen any panics and it all seems very stable. I also set the boot timeout to 0.1 so waking is quicker.

simonj23, Feb 14, 2009
  14. chuckcalo

templar

Is anyone running the voodoo kernel option and getting hibernate to work? I read on another forum that someone thought that voodoo might work. I was trying to stay with the vanilla one, but if voodoo works I might try it.

greg

templar, Feb 14, 2009
  15. chuckcalo

robo

No, i'm using Voodoo and the iATKOS build, Chameleon/PC-EFI 1.0.12, and no luck with hibernation.

robo, Feb 14, 2009
  16. chuckcalo

semis

I tried the same guide and used a "iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final" distro - hibernate through closing the lid and shutdown menu works as promised (sound is gone then). Everything else seems to be okay so far. :D

semis, Feb 17, 2009
  17. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

Heh, seems like it's only working for people using the iPC distro. No luck for us using iAKTOS. Hope someone can come up with a conclusion/solution better than mine.

chuckcalo, Feb 17, 2009
  18. chuckcalo

edge_of_sarcasm

I agree. My A00 works like a dream with OS 10.5.6 except the sleep function. When some one can come up with a fix for this "bugg" the A00 is a complete "mini"-mac :mrgreen:

So please, you smart ones out there make this happen :D

Regards
    Daniel

edge_of_sarcasm, Feb 24, 2009
  19. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

I tried deleting the file located in "/var/vm/" but no luck.

I'm going to give up and download iPC and try it.

chuckcalo, Feb 24, 2009
  20. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

Update

This might be interesting for you guys, but try pressing FN+F4 the system indeed sleeps but wakes with a kernel panic. It didn't happen when I pressed Sleep button from Apple menu. Are we getting closer?

What are we missing here? I'm still thinking and I'm positive there's a kext iPC is installing that iAtkos is missing.

chuckcalo, Feb 26, 2009
Ask a Question