Deciding on an OS with the 120gig

Discussion in 'Windows' started by UTJackal, Aug 28, 2008.

1. UTJackal

UTJackal

I just picked up the 120gig a few days ago and have been trying to decide which OS to go with. I've decided against Linux just to avoid having to figure out issues.

Right now it has XP home installed, obviously. I have no complaints about it, although it can be slightly sluggish, grant it I'm use to using dual and quad core machines with 4+gigs of ram.

The computer is used almost solely for school. Programming and typing notes for the most part. So enough talk, what are your opinions on the "best" OS for this model for my use. And also, one side question. Would it be worth while to *lite the OS's, or just do the full install seeing as it is a 120gig hard drive. I'm not so concerned with hd space as much as i am performance.

Oh and one other thing, it has 1gig of ram still, but I plan on upgrading to 2 here in a week or two.

OS's i have to choose from:
    XP Home (already on it)
    XP Prof 32bit and 64bit
    Vista Ultimate 32bit and 64bit

Thanks!

UTJackal, Aug 28, 2008
  2. UTJackal

cytech

Ive now had Linpus, debian, XP and vista ultimate installed. sofar the vista install has been on longest and I will probably stick with it.

i used a full version (not tiny etc) and it works fine, boot time is arround 30 seconds (yes longer than the linux version in know but i can live with that) but it awakes from sleep mode in abotu 3 seconds, and everything runs like a dream. i only had 1Gb ram the first time i installed vista and it was fine, now running 1.5gb and a 2GB sandisk Extreme III (20 Mbs) SD card in the expansion slot using readyboost and it flys! really never thought vista would run so well on this hardware.

cytech, Aug 28, 2008
  3. UTJackal

jp-m

Yep.. also got Vista on it.. and yes it is booting slower than Linpus.. but much faster than Ubuntu ;-)

jp-m, Aug 28, 2008
  4. UTJackal

...BeAkEr...

also running vista, its awesome and fast

...BeAkEr..., Aug 28, 2008
  5. UTJackal

UTJackal

Sounds like i found a winner. This is good because i prefer vista.
    Are you guys running 64bit or 32bit, or does it even matter?

UTJackal, Aug 28, 2008
  6. UTJackal

cytech

32bit, wasnt sure if the atom was 64bit capable.

cytech, Aug 28, 2008
  7. UTJackal

jackluo923

You can't upgrade the Acer Aspire one to 2GB of RAM. It only supports 1.5GB. Acer soldered 512mb of ram on the motherboard thus leaving you with only 1GB of expansion.

jackluo923, Aug 28, 2008
  8. UTJackal

UTJackal

After reading more, i did realize that you can only go up to 1.5gb. I must say that's retarded, and even more retarded is the work you must go to install the ram. Anyways.

I saw a blip somewhere mentioning that vista runs a bit faster if you don't *lite it. Any confirmation on this?

And i don't know if anyone would know or not, but the one wouldn't struggle too much at running oracle would it?

Thanks again for all the info guys!

UTJackal, Aug 28, 2008
  9. UTJackal

cytech

its not as hard as it looks, took me about 10 mins to take apart, swap the chip and reasemble, tbh as long as you arn't totally techically retarded i cant see it taking a total laptop n00b more than 20/30 mins....good idea to watch tnkgrls videos before hand though to know what awaits you.

Oracle shouldnt be a problem as long as you dont plan to run a productive DB on the one, should be fine for a small dev instance

cytech, Aug 28, 2008
  10. UTJackal

hongcho

The Atom N270 does not support 64-bit.

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 28, 2008
  11. UTJackal

jackluo923

Vista would be faster if you *lite it, not the other way around like you said.

jackluo923, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question