debian etch, xorg problem with module intel

Discussion in 'Linux' started by muaB, Sep 6, 2008.

1. muaB

muaB

heyas =)

i just tried to install debian etch.
    i did copy the kernel & modules of linpus, and copied it into my debian, but when i want to startx, it says "failed to load module "intel" (module does not exist)". im just wondering, as i have the acer-kernel and all the modules (also xorg.conf), so it doesnt make sense (for me).

i would like to _not_ recover the netbook (again) just to search for the file and maybe even don't find it =(

any hints would be appreciated =)

muaB, Sep 6, 2008
  2. muaB

qasar.es

I am very sorry because I cannot answer your question. But instead, I have a question to you. I was thinking in doing something similar, I mean, taking the kernel (including its modules) from linpus and everything else form other distro, but I am wondering about the initrd. I guess in your case you had to debianize it. I am right? I am missing something?

qasar.es, Sep 6, 2008
  3. muaB

muaB

not sure, what ur talking about, sry

what i did take was the kernel and the /lib/modules, nothing more.
    as far as i understand, this should include all driverse i need. (pls correct me if im wrong, as this might be a great help)

i finally got x running (vesa though, so i dont know what happens if i ever want towhatch a vido ;p).
    but at this point im trying to get the wlan module running, which seems to be even a harder task =(

anyway, im not disappointed enough to give up so far >)
    still trying... if i have succes on getting debian working completely, ill writ a little guide (if noone is faster ,p)

muaB, Sep 7, 2008
  4. muaB

qasar.es

The initrd is the initial RAM disk that most distros use to boot. You will see reading the boot loader configuration file, which is "/boot/grub/grub.conf" in the AA1, that the boot loader has to load two files into the RAM. One is the kernel program and the other one is the initrd. The initrd is a whole filesystem (with dirs, subdirs and files) compressed into a single file. So the boot loader puts this two into the RAM and passes the control to the kernel. This way the kernel can use the modules in the initrd instead of being compiled with all of them. So perhaps your problem has something to do with the initrd that you can solve using the "mkinitrd" tool.

qasar.es, Sep 8, 2008
  5. muaB

fancied-dreamer

I know that this is way too late, but...
    It's an XOrg driver issue, not a kernel module problem. If you have internet, you could try:

apt-get update
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

or get it from the debian website. It's actually a new package, part of the "etchnhalf" release.

fancied-dreamer, Oct 18, 2008
Ask a Question