debating either budget or all out laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Rukialynn, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Rukialynn

Rukialynn

when it comes to my computers I am a gamer first, writer second, student third and chef fourth.
    for my writing and cooking, hell even my studenting I know I could grab 160$ laptop off newegg and call it a day. but then gaming comes into it.

I have two budgets:
    570 or less

or

1000 or less

with the first budget I am attempting
    to split my taxes up for saving up for when home 3d printers are good enough to print good detail on custom models for the non computer gaming I do. this is the preferable route mostly.
    what I need a 570$ laptop to be able to do and not go over price:
    play simple games like prison architect, gnomoria and hopefully minecraft:feed the beast ultimate.
    an example laptop is:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=skim525X832X79beaa496952441c9bba5f6a773f2eec
    I am pretty sure this is what I am looking for in this range but if there is cheaper with similar specs or better specs for the same price please help me out.

for the 1000$ budget it is a lot less rigid than the cheaper budget this one can go over just not ridiculously over:
    borderlands 2, everquest next landmarks, second life, left4dead and other possible upcoming titles. Not top of the line games but still a little graphics heavy.
    for this I know I can fall in budget but the hang up is that I kind of want to get a laptop, tablet hybrid that I can still play my games on. or I need some one to explain thoughtfully and completely why the hybrids would fall completely and utterly short of my expectations.

I am less concerened about space as I have multiple tb externals.
    I do have a desktop that plays anything I need so my laptop doesnt haveee to be a desktop replacement.
    I do need it to be very portable and durable, I am clumsy and on the go 12 hours every week day and 6 on weekends.
    screen size doesn't matter except that 17" is to big for portable.
    matte screen is prefered but not essential.

if there is anything left out please let me know

edit: I forgot say I will not give any money to HP.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Rukialynn, Feb 5, 2014
  2. Rukialynn

something back

something back, Feb 5, 2014
  3. Rukialynn

Rukialynn

I am grateful for the quick response but I am more concerned about gpu than cpu as that is more deciding on price.
    dont get me wrong I am very concerned about cpu but that is a small factor considering know a whole lot more about cpus than I do gpus.

I think the reality of my question is more along these lines:

is my higher budget realistic for tablet/laptop hybrid that will do what I want it to?

if not

does anyone reccomend an alternative to my suggested laptop above? or is that just about right?

Rukialynn, Feb 5, 2014
  4. Rukialynn

Sefie

I think the laptop you suggested is just fine. You nailed it, the laptop you suggested has great specs, if I were you I'd surely get that one - it should suit all your needs just fine. Stop over analyzing ;)

Sefie, Feb 16, 2014
  5. Rukialynn

jordanmc97

If gaming is a big issue, you might want to decide on a desktop or something that's capable of running games efficiently. I know this is laptop forum and laptop's are great, but for gaming, desktop's have a lot better performance, and are easily changed depending on new hardware.

Have you considered buying a budget laptop for simple tasks/travelling and using a desktop for gaming at home? Just an idea.

jordanmc97, Feb 19, 2014
  6. Rukialynn

morguk

No matter what PC I buy, laptop or desktop, I always go for midrange. If you buy a budget laptop, it will be obsolete quicker and will lack features and speed. If you buy high end you will see the hardware you bought drop in price considerably within a year. If you buy mid-range, you get decent hardware that will last you quite a while!

morguk, Feb 20, 2014
  7. Rukialynn

LindaKay

You should go in-between. I just bought a nice Gateway laptop from Walmart for $350. It wasn't a bad deal at all, and it has Windows 8. Good luck.

LindaKay, Feb 20, 2014
  8. Rukialynn

bobthemuffinman

What I would say is buy a budget laptop, for like $400, and then build a gaming desktop and go as far out as you can. Gaming laptops are really overpriced, and you will be more happy with a desktop. Get a basic laptop, then build a gaming desktop.

bobthemuffinman, Feb 20, 2014
  9. Rukialynn

LindaKay

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. I have a really nice desktop at home. I bought a more affordable laptop, but not the cheapest one, but a medium-to-lower priced one. I use it to travel, etc, but I use my desktop for other things.

LindaKay, Feb 20, 2014
  10. Rukialynn

OhioTom76

With regards to 3D printing, there are companies that can print 3D models for you, as opposed to you investing in the equipment yourself. Personally I wouldn't bother buying a consumer level 3D printer until the market matures more. The costs are still too high, as are the materials needed for them - and they don't even print out smooth, detailed shapes - they look all choppy and pixelated. At least if you send your projects off to a company to print them for you, they probably have a much higher end printer that will produce better results.

The 3D printer market kind of reminds me back when digital cameras first came out - the very first point and shoots cost over $1000 and only shot <2MP images, which were useless for prints. You would get a lot more bang for your buck out of a nicer laptop over the next few years instead.

OhioTom76, Feb 25, 2014
  11. Rukialynn

LindaKay

I agree. I think you're better off waiting a little while for the 3D printing thing to really take off. Just as with digital cameras, BluRay players and everything else, better but much more affordable products will hit the market soon enough.

LindaKay, Feb 26, 2014
Ask a Question