Dealing with program windows too big for the screen

Discussion in 'Windows' started by odie812, Oct 16, 2008.

1. odie812

odie812

Hey fellow AAO users,

I wasn't quite sure how to search for this, so let me explain. . .

Some of the programs I use have windows that are vertically too large for the AAO's screen, I assume because most programs are designed for 1024x768 resolution. This restricts some of the functionality of the program because I can't move the window enough to fit in the screen and the windows aren't resize-able, either.

Does anyone else ever experience this? Is there a solution? Or, how do you deal with it?

Thanks

odie812, Oct 16, 2008
  2. odie812

XE1UFO

I don know about Linpus, but I had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.04.1 and 8.0.4 EEE and also now on Fedora 10.0 Beta. The only thing I have done so far is make the typefaces (fonts) smaller, about 7 points and also place the top bar vertical on the left and the bottom bar vertical on the right. And I STILL have problems on some windows. I don't see a way to change the resolution to 1024*768, instead of 1024*600, which should fix the problem. HELP!!! :roll:

XE1UFO, Oct 16, 2008
  3. odie812

Kei

Hook up an external monitor...that would do it

Kei, Oct 16, 2008
  4. odie812

Mosser

Thats an easy problem to solve!

Hold down alt whilst dragging the window with the left mouse button, you can drag it from anywhere on the window, even if its a button, it wont click if you are holding alt, it moves it instead

Mosser, Oct 17, 2008
  5. odie812

mstitts

I just use virtual display.

For windows you can go to display properties->settings->advanced, select the monitor tab and uncheck hide modes
    this monitor cant display.

You can now select higher resolutions that will pan arround the screen when you move the mouse arround.

It can be done with linux also but you have to know how to setup a proper x-server config. (xorg.conf, located usually in /etc/X11 ) I'm not shure though if the default intel driver supports virtual resolutions for x, or if i used a hacked driver on my EeePC.

mstitts, Oct 17, 2008
  6. odie812

odie812

Mosser,

I don't quite understand what you mean. Could you explain in more detail?

I'm on XP, by the way.

odie812, Oct 17, 2008
  7. odie812

Kei

Maybe it is linux only i dunno hope he replys

Kei, Oct 17, 2008
  8. odie812

mstitts

By default windows hides video resolutions that your monitor does'nt seem to support.

You need to go to display properties (either right click on desktop and select properties, or through control panel) then follow the above
    to allow a higher resolution to be chosen.

The intel drivers will allow you to switch to a higher resolution than the lcd screen supports, but you
    get a desktop that does'nt fit everything on the screen. (you pan arround when moveing the mouse).

There is nothing to explain really, give it a try, once you uncheck the hide modes option (you might have to reboot) go to video settings and
    select 1024x768...move then mouse arround . Your start bar (assuming you keep it at the bottom) will be off screen until you move the mouse all
    the way down to it.

mstitts, Oct 17, 2008
  9. odie812

Kei

ooooo he was asking you that question ok anyone know how to do that alt click on a window? not working for me

Kei, Oct 17, 2008
  10. odie812

Veazer

The alt-drag is a linux trick.

Veazer, Oct 17, 2008
  11. odie812

odie812

Actually, I clearly addressed my question to Mosser. I understand how to change resolutions in Windows.

But, it's a Linux trick, apparently.

Thanks.

odie812, Oct 18, 2008
  12. odie812

Mosser

Sorry, but it is a linux only trick, very handy for windows that dont fit onto smaller screens, but linux only

i'm not aware of any XP equivalent, my ASUS R2H umpc that runs XP, has a dedicated resolution switching button for problems like that, the downside is that everything becomes a little fuzzy when running at anything other than the native resolution of the display

Mosser, Oct 18, 2008
  13. odie812

woodland

To perform the 'linux " Alt-drag and also get an Alt-resize "trick"

consider Installing: Taekwindow

http://taekwindow.sourceforge.net/

there are several other windowmanagers available for WinXp:
    Altmove
    DM2

but i liked Taekwindow best

woodland, Dec 18, 2008
  14. odie812

jhillestad

THANKS!!!!!!!! I was wondering how to handle software that cannot be fully seen correctly!

jhillestad, Dec 20, 2008
Ask a Question