Dead on arrival - battery?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by random_hack, Aug 5, 2008.

1. random_hack

random_hack

Just received my A1 - the basic 8GB SSD model with Linux. Plugged it in to charge, orange light comes on, and after a few minutes turns green.

So, I try to turn the computer on - it gets half way through booting, then shuts off. I try again, and it doesn't get through post.

The battery doesn't seem to be charging at all; the PSU's not warm, nor is the battery. Unplugging and replugging turns the battery LED orange for a few seconds, then it turns green again.

Could someone with a working A1 let me know what the battery charge light means? If green means "fully charged" then I think I've got a dud here.

random_hack

random_hack, Aug 5, 2008
  2. random_hack

Beldar

DoA.

Beldar, Aug 5, 2008
  3. random_hack

random_hack

Ah, nuts - thought so. Thanks for confirming.

Is Acer's support any good? Torn between attempting to return to play.com and calling Acer directly.

Thanks

random_hack

random_hack, Aug 5, 2008
  4. random_hack

daymz

Looks like the same problem I got. Battery dead after first charge...

See here:
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=538

If you can, to confirm it's the same, do a 'cat' on the proc of battery1's info and state (see above post) and see if there are any milliamps (mA) to the charging.

daymz, Aug 5, 2008
  5. random_hack

daymz

Acer told me the battery was back-order (I suspect it's b.s. as they must be hot on production and especially orders right now).

So, I ended up swapping the entire unit at NCIX.com (the place I bought it from).

daymz, Aug 5, 2008
  6. random_hack

random_hack

Thanks. Can't check the charge details, I'm afraid, as it won't power up at all. Will speak to the retailer and Acer tomorrow and see what happens.

random_hack, Aug 5, 2008
  7. random_hack

daymz

Oh, I thought you meant the computer shut down when in battery (as if there was no battery left). No the same problem indeed then. Good luck with Acer support and RMA.

daymz, Aug 5, 2008
Ask a Question