DC Output Voltage on charger - How High is OK

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by inframan, Jan 14, 2009.

1. inframan

inframan

I wanted to buy an additional prefereably smaller Charger for my Aspire One so I can leave my main one at work and carry the other where needed.

I've managed to get one at a reasonable price however when its come (although it came in a bag with Designed for Aspire One label on it) I noticed it is rated for 20V at 2A wheras the original is rated at 19V. I tested the output voltage and it came in at 23V but that is unloaded.
    However the selling company has assured me it these adapters have been tested OK for Aspire On

Is this likely to cause problems with my Aspire one. Not keen on finding out the hard way whether it will break it or not or am I worrying about nothing?

TIA

inframan, Jan 14, 2009
  2. inframan

gadjet

Most of the regulation will be done inside the Aspire One and under load that voltage will probably fall to around 20V.

The only issue is that the voltage dropped across internal regulator determines the wattage dissipated and as such the higher the voltage at the input then the warmer the Acer may get during charging but I would think you'll not cause any problems as the charging circuit probably monitor temp. and would cut off if it gets too hot.

gadjet, Jan 26, 2009
  3. inframan

Dave in Eugene

Agreed, you should be fine with a 20V brick, or 23V. Assuming it's a real switching power supply & not just a cheap xfmr/rectifier setup, the latter I would not trust.

Depending on the design of the internal regulating circuits in the AAO, they may or may not run warmer.

But do monitor the temperature, especially the batteries and the new power supply itself. The batteries like to be charged at the proper rate, otherwise expensive and/or disastrous things can happen.

Dave in Eugene, Jan 26, 2009
  4. inframan

vip57

I bought a powersupply from Zahn Electronics for $100. It steps up from 12 to 14 volts input, and outputs 19v at 3 amps.

I also had to buy a power jack from Computer jacks.com to fit the acer. It is an odd side jack. I believe it is 1.5mm ID, and 5 or 6mm OD. It cost about $20 after shipping. So now I have a nice power supply for my acer, for auto or home.

vip57, Jan 28, 2009
  5. inframan

inframan

Thanks for the replies. I eventually decided to try it but discovered to my surprise that the diameter of the core of the jack is too large to make contact with the pin on the Aspire One socket. So the adapter was useless anyway. The supplier responded quickly and set me a replacement but it is identical and has the same issue so they are refunding me and I guess I'll look elsewhere.

inframan, Jan 29, 2009
  6. inframan

Cozz

My original adapter outputs at 1.5amps but the replacement one's i'm looking at output at 3.42 or even as much as 5. That's a rating of the capacity of the power supply not how much amperage is forced on the laptop right??

So it won't damage my Acer to use a 19v 3.42a output charger even though the OEM one is 1.5a?

Been a while since I worked on electrical spec.

Cozz, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question