DANGER setting BIOS passwords

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Hallidaymj, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Hallidaymj

Hallidaymj

I used my AA1 to travel with my job - so much lighter than normal laptop. I was concerned about booting straight to the main window. So I followed the instruction book and used the BIOS password feature (via F2 during boot).

There are 3 passwords in BIOS - Admin, User, Hard Disk.
    However to set a User password and Admin one has to be set.

So I duly entered my own passwords for Admin and User followed by a reboot. My passwords are formed from letters and numbers. On rebooting I entered my password only to be told they were considered incorrect. I was totally stuck. Clearly in the 30 seconds between setting them and rebooting I hadn't forgotten them.

With my BIOS it states that the password can be up to 8 words - I think they mean characters! What the manual and BIOS do not tell you is they convert them to UPPERCASE.

I don't know why they convert them but they do. I cant tell you why the thought came to me to try uppercase either.
    So I did a test. I went back to BIOS and entered fresh passwords in lowercase and rebooted. I could only get the passwords to work if I entered them in uppercase.

Take care protecting yout AA1!

Hallidaymj, Aug 30, 2008
  2. Hallidaymj

petewormald

haha i did the exact same thing, thought I'd ballsd mine up a few hours after getting it - after an hour of panic i figured it out tho :p nice to no I'm not the only one who did this :D

petewormald, Aug 30, 2008
  3. Hallidaymj

gheek

Same thing just happened to me. Phew, still sweating... :shock:

gheek, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Hallidaymj

micha

I wonder... did you get into the BIOS en could you re-set the passwords just like that? Or did you have to enter the old ones first?

micha, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question