Danger: Latest Live Update Breaks UK 3G on Huawei E160G

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dogcat, Apr 18, 2009.

1. dogcat

dogcat

Hi,

I have been happily using a Huawei E160G dongle since I got my AO110 last year - I use the "Mobile Partner" application to connect to the UK "Three" network. I ran Live Update on 15/04/2009 and this stopped working. Mobile Partner sees the dongle, but it is permanently in a state of "Connecting" - you never get an error

This is also being experienced by a colleague of mine who ran Live Update this week with his AO150 and E160G , so I think this must be a more general problem

E160G dongle is fine on Windows laptop and is at latest firmware

I have tried

1) Updating Apsire firmware
    2) Updating E160G firmware
    3) Complete AO recovery from Recovery DVD and then live update
    4) Every combination of CHAP, PAP passwords and no passwords I can find on the internet

Anyone else experiencing this or have a solution. Have already wasted hours on this.

Don't you just love Live Update!

Thanks,

Mike

dogcat, Apr 18, 2009
  2. dogcat

sivogt

Hi

Same problem here, Mobile Partner constantly states 'Connecting' after Live Update with E160G.

BUT - whilst it says 'Connecting' I am actually connected to the internet and everything works - so give your browser a go and see.

This may be a 'feature' we have to get used to!

sivogt, Apr 19, 2009
  3. dogcat

dogcat

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I think it would have worked - had I not re-installed and run Live Update again yesterday. Today, I have no "Mobile Partner" and instead I have a large blue icon with 3G written on it called "ConnMgr". When you click on this you just get "Device Detection Failed".

Thanks,

Mike

dogcat, Apr 20, 2009
  4. dogcat

sivogt

If you right click on your desktop and go down to 'Network' you should be able to select Mobile Partner there.

Hope this helps

sivogt, Apr 22, 2009
  5. dogcat

RyanPilot

Ah, I've just posted a topic with the same problem (losing Mobile Partner). I just tried right clicking my desktop but I don't get any menu or anything appearing. I'm very new to Linux, where exactly should I be clicking?

RyanPilot, Apr 27, 2009
  6. dogcat

CragFace

I don't use a dongle or the Mobile Partner, but if you click settings and then Live Updates there are 3 tabs on that window, if you click on History it brings up the list of all your updates. Would highlighting the updates you don't want and then removing them help solve your problem?

CragFace, Jun 8, 2009
  7. dogcat

freddie

Sadly I came to this thread too late...

I have just bought a Vodafone 'Top up and Go Mobile broadband' Huawei K3565 3G dongle, which just plugged into my CnM minibook and worked first time. But the AAO? - well that is an entirely different story!

I went down the live update route, but it no longer installs Mobile Partner, but this '3G ConnMgr' thinggy - which doesn't detect my dongle - it says 'Device detection failed. Please reconnect the device and try again'

Worse still
    - The update removed my wireless connection and I had to go an hunt out all my info again to re-establish it!
    - I can't remove any of the updates - when I go to the Live Upate History tab the 'Remove' button is grayed out for all the items I try to remove!
    - THIS IS TOO MUCH LIKE MICROSOFT UPDATES THAT TRAMPLE ALL OVER YOUR SYSTEM!

Any suggestions as to:
    - get out of this mess?
    - find and download Mobile Partner?
    - get AAO to work with this 3G dongle?

freddie, Jun 14, 2009
  8. dogcat

CragFace

I guess it's a bit defeatist, and worse still if you have loads of stuff on there...but I had made a mess of my AAO a few times over the last few months and ended up doing a complete factory restart from a 2GB USB flash drive I made from the recovery disk... (well it only takes 30 mins and I never have anything vital on it!) I have had to use it about 4 or 5 times now! I can confirm that when I started afresh each time and did the update I got the Mobile Partner logo, and just recently about 2 weeks ago- both logos... one for Mobile Partner, and the new 3G blue circle for Conn Mang and both are accessable from either the blue tab into the "Connect" page, or from the drop down menu under Network.
    (Incidentally, RYAN PILOT - looks like you need to go see page 2 - Enable the Advanced Menu at http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05 ... page2.html )

I have however realised that my suggestion to remove live updates is worthless because all the ones that you want to get rid of are headed "Critical" and are disallowed removal! Sorry :(
    Perhaps you should do a recovery and NOT do a live update??? or am I being naive?

CragFace, Jun 14, 2009
  9. dogcat

freddie

Oh dear CragFace - reloads are what Windows programmers do! - I had hoped to escape that by coming over to Linux ;-)

I did my live update this morning and there was no sign of Mobile Partner - just the '3G ConnMgr' thinggy. Maybe they've just dropped it?

Any ideas where I could get a copy? It seemed to work for some people with the Vodafone dongle

freddie, Jun 14, 2009
  10. dogcat

CragFace

Only just got the AAO in January and linux is a mystery to me, although I am testing things out slowly -thus the re-boots! However I think your software is still there, its just not showing the icon or is visible on your desktops? Assume you looked in the files? Don't get excited but do these links help?
    http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/forums ... 8662d12623
    http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/forums ... 6762e37ebe
    http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/forums ... 120ce6026b
    and look at the right side links as well as scrolling.
    or try the asus eee wiki board... http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=63298
    CF

CragFace, Jun 14, 2009
  11. dogcat

Rofa

I have exactly the same problem. Was there ever a resolution of this? The thread has meandered away from the original problem. My Live Update is now no longer functioning anyway but it certainly must have been when the update screwed a perfectly happy Mobile Partner.

Rofa, Jul 3, 2009
  12. dogcat

RyanPilot

Thanks CragFace, I activated the advanced menu, I can find Mobile Partner and am now online and happy.

RyanPilot, Jul 3, 2009
Ask a Question