Damaged LCD display

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by MJH, Oct 4, 2008.

1. MJH

MJH

Hi folks,

How robust to people consider the AAO to be?
    The LCD display on mine has fractured after just a couple of weeks very light use (not even left the house yet). I consider myself to be a pretty careful owner - I have had laptops of one make or another in my backpack for commutes to London for the last 10ish years and never damaged one. There are no external marks to suggest impact damage. The laptop is currently with the supplier who are unlikely to replace/repair it (to be fair they will only do what acer advise them to do..). As I see it the following are the most likely scenarios:

1. The LCD was supplied faulty and took a little time to fail.
    2. The AAO is inherently fragile and not suited to be used as a portable computer.

Yeh, I have not put down "I am a klutz" as an option. I really have been careful with it - it's the first laptop that has been paid for out of my own pocket!

Anyway, following on from the above... If I do end up with my AAO back with a damaged screen what are my options? Any idea about prices for a new screen? Are there screens with a higher vertical resolution available?

Cheers,

MJH

MJH, Oct 4, 2008
  2. MJH

acydlord

No problems with my panel so far, and to be quite honest I'm rather rough with mine. I generally just toss it in my backpack with an external HDD and ac adapter and other such trinkets. It has even taken about a 3ft fall with no damage so far. Short of being sat on or smashed I don't really see the panel getting physical damage easily, it is recessed a good distance from the keyboard when closed. Hopefully you will get yours back from repairs with good news.

acydlord, Oct 5, 2008
  3. MJH

MJH

Yeh hope so..

I just know what I would say if someone told me that their laptop screen "broke on it's own"...

MJH, Oct 5, 2008
  4. MJH

63 peter

There is a class action suit being consider because many Acer screens break easily with normal use. The first one broke within three weeks after receiving the Acer. I contacted Acer Customer about a warranty. They said the warranty only covers items damaged during shipping. Once the item it's received your on your own. Stopped by a computer repair shop. They said frankly it would cost more to replace the screen than to buy a new Netbook. I did, 2 weeks later the second screen cracked.

The keyboard is also very small with letters too close together. It works for a child hands but not for a mans hands.

63 peter, Mar 28, 2013
Ask a Question