D2D Recovery question

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ScottZ, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ScottZ

ScottZ

Does this process reload the originnal drive image, or does it just reload Windows? Does it format the partition and make a clean install or just do a repair?

ScottZ, Dec 20, 2008
  2. ScottZ

erietdyk

D2D re-installs the factory image. It will only install the language as chosen during first boot, however.

It does not repair, and makes a clean install.

erietdyk, Dec 24, 2008
  3. ScottZ

azz2811

so D2D will re-format the drive making 2 partitions one of them is the xp partiton and the other is the partition with the recovery?

thanks i really need this

azz2811, Dec 25, 2008
  4. ScottZ

goapy

D2D only recovers the OS (XP) partition to the first partition on the hard disk. For example, I once re-sized the C: partition using easeus to split it into two partitions (C: & D:), while leaving the recovery partition as-is.

Later, I started eRecovery, and it only offered to install the OS to the first partition.

I also tried to recover from the bootable recovery disk when the hard drive had no recovery partition, but had a C: and D: partition. The recovery disk offerred to re-write the entire hard drive, or install only to the C: partition. But it will not restore the hidden PQSERVICE partition if it has been deleted.

However, I had made an acronis image of both the recovery partition and the OS partition before I even booted my AA1 for the first time. Acronis will restore both partitions, even to an empty drive with no partitions, if 'whole drive' or 'bit-to-bit restore mode' is selected. So, it seems that the recovery partition must be backed up with its MBR by a third party utility.

goapy, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question