D270 freezes on xp install -Help!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by curlyman72, Apr 4, 2012.

1. curlyman72

curlyman72

I have a D270 and I'm trying to install Windows XP. It gets to about 10 minutes of finishing the install (graphical UI part) and then it freezes up when it's registering components. Any ideas? I'm installing from a bootable USB stick but I've also tried an external USB CDRom drive as well.

curlyman72, Apr 4, 2012
  2. curlyman72

leokleo

I have the same problem. Bought a new D270 yesterday, Formated the HDD and ran the win XP install, freezes on registering components. Since I have removed the OEM partition I can't use the original image. Please help and Curlyman, have you solved it? I will write here if I find a solution!

leokleo, Jun 1, 2012
  3. curlyman72

leokleo

I finally solved it! I was using my brain on full power and after alot of tests and so on I found it:

1. Before you run the install, enter BIOS by pressing F2.
    2. In BIOS, DISABLE something called "D2D", it's the bios backup system and the reason the installer freezes is because it needs the files from a previous partition (OEM) but can't find it.
    3. Save the changes and exit.
    4. Run the installer as before and it will not freeze!

Hope this helps :)

leokleo, Jun 1, 2012
  4. curlyman72

gmv12345

Hi all, I want to do exactly the same thing (in fact, downgrading the currrent OS - Windows 7 Starter, which is the one the netbook came with, to Windows XP Professional version, which does not include SP2) because I found this W7 version kind of slow and besides, XP is considered as light as a feather...

My question is: What is the Windows XP version you guys installed on your Aspire One? Did you run into any issues after installation? What about the drivers?

I appreciate if you can find answers to my questions!

Thanks

gmv12345, Jul 9, 2012
Ask a Question