D255 RAM Upgrade is illegal. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by flyingcarpet, Nov 4, 2011.

1. flyingcarpet

flyingcarpet

I bought this computer new, after much research. Now it is months later and time to upgrade to 2GB from 1GB RAM. Turns out this particular model does not support RAM upgrades! The Acer website says

This is a real problem !! There are only a few reports online of people upgrading. Has anyone any knowledge or experience with this??

flyingcarpet, Nov 4, 2011
  2. flyingcarpet

Swarvey Moderator

If the machine has a RAM slot, which I'm pretty sure it does, it's not impossible to replace/upgrade RAM modules. Acer will say they don't support you upgrading your RAM as it means physically disassembling the machine to get to the RAM slot, which in turn voids warranty.

If your AAO is outside warranty, go for gold, you really have nothing to lose. But BE CAREFUL, accidental damage to the netbooks motherboard or other components could render it unusable. As can installing an incompatible RAM module.

Swarvey, Nov 5, 2011
  3. flyingcarpet

Beakie

You can upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2GB, there are plenty of guides around on how to do it as well. If you have some basic PC building experience and know one end of a screwdriver from the other its fairly easy. You pop the keyboard off and then remove four screws, this allows you to push the bottom cover off and access the inside of the netbook and change the chip.

If you are worried about your warranty its up to you whether to do it or not, but I can tell you that there are no seals or anything to break and show that you have changed the part, at least mine didn't yours could be different but if they are the same there's no reason you couldn't replace the 1GB chip if you need to return it under warranty, as long as you are careful. Still I wouldn't tell you to risk your warranty that's something you need to decide for yourself.

Before I upgraded mine I spent a fair amount of time doing research and a common problem some people have is getting the wrong DIMM and it not working, I am not sure why that is because its beyond me technically to explain but there are a lot of chips that all seem similier and I guess its easy to pick the wrong one. I bought mine from Crucial, they have a good website that allows you to search for chips by the model number of your machine or to download an analysis tool that picks the right chip. The one Crucial sent me worked first time.

Heres one of the fitting guides you might want to check out,

The upgrade is well worth doing though, the chips are cheap and it makes browsing and playing music much snappier.

Beakie, Nov 6, 2011
  4. flyingcarpet

something back

something back, Nov 6, 2011
  5. flyingcarpet

flyingcarpet

Thank you all. That is encouraging.

flyingcarpet, Nov 11, 2011
Ask a Question