D250 wont turn on with bluetooth installed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by D250_1821, Mar 11, 2010.

1. D250_1821

D250_1821

I have the D250 with Xp and no factory bluetooth. (Although the button is available under a cover by the HD/wifi/Caps indicator.)

I first tried ordering a mini pcie bluetooth/wifi card. When it arrived I installed it in the pcie slot that is accessible from a door on the bottom of this version of aspire one. After the typical difficulties with drivers and language barriers (a lot of the software was in chinese), I finally got it working and just didn't use the wifi portion although I did manage to get it working anyways just to see, and I had the bluetooth, and two wifi cards going at once. Connected my Blackberry via BT and exchanged files, connected a mouse. All worked great. Turned the laptop off, put in charger, went to bed.

Next afternoon I open the laptop in class and the thing wont turn on. First a little blink of light from the power button (cant recall if orange or green) and a click, but nothing. I assumed I accidentally left it on, but when I went home, still nothing, tried two different batteries, (9cell and 3 cell) np difference.

I decided to remove the pcie wifi/bt card and try again and it worked, turned on immediately.

Whats strange is that i put the card in my dell laptop in place of its factory wifi card and it works great, the little bluetooth light doesn't work and now the wifi light is sketchy but does what it needs to. (the dell is an inspiron 6400)

I thought maybe the extra wifi card was drawing too much current perhaps.

Then I stumbled upon an ebayer selling the factory bluetooth module for aspire one. plugs right in if you have the BT button, or turns on via Acer Empowering Technology software. I have both. so I ordered it.

in the mean time I have been using a bluetooth usb dongle the size of my fingernail and it works great in any usb port i plug it into, even a hub.

The factory module came yesterday. It uses the Broadcom 2045 USB2.0 chip. This is one of two potential factory cards Acer uses as I understand. It plugs into JBT1 on the motherboard (I assume anyways, its the only available connector, its in the right spot and it fits).

It installed itself (PnP) but I had to find the Acer drivers for bluetooth (WIDCOMM) to get it working. When I did though, it works great. Button or ePower, either way the blue LED comes on properly, and the bluetooth logo comes on screen just as the wifi one does when you turn the wifi card on and off.

I was happy but nervous, I decided to turn it off and wait a couple hours. Sure enough, went to turn it on again a while later, no luck. No blink, no flash, no click, nothing.... (I tried removing the battery and pushing the power button a few times then retry, didn't work).

unplugged the bt card from JBT1 and then the laptop came on fine... ?!?!?!..... so while the computer was on, I plugged it in hoping nothing would fry... and nothing happened at all... but when I restarted everything was fine again. Bluetooth, works.. and even if you turn it off and unplug it and remove the battery... whatever.... it works fine..

...until you leave it off for a couple hours. It wont turn on until I take the BT card out. (unplug)

I have left the bluetooth usb stick installed indefinitely and no matter how long the laptop is off, it works normal. Its like my aspire one is a "not in my backyard" bluetooth supporter.... hippocrite, ha ha.

So at this point I am thinking of soldering my bluetooth dongle into my laptop via the usb on the pcie connector, or perhaps there is usb communication in the 4 pin JBT1 connector, makes sense since the card calls itself USB 2.0. Then I might be able to turn it on and off with the button and have the LED indicator, would be nice.

As a sidenote... this is my second D250 i have owned, the first one turned itself off during the first startup and wouldn't turn on again, I took it back to the store the next day and got this one I have now, but I assume they were probably from the same production lot. And in the one I have, it looks like the pcie connector for the half-sized factory wifi card has had some solder repairs done to it. I did not buy a "refurbished" unit... I am thinking this is a clue.

Sorry if this was long winded... but thanks for reading.

D250_1821, Mar 11, 2010
  2. D250_1821

Swarvey Moderator

Just a thought, which BIOS are you using? have you tried updating it? The symptoms you're getting when BT is installed sound very similar to the bug which requires blind-flashing of the BIOS. And considering a hardware button, which is part of the motherboard works with the factory BT controller, I'd say maybe at some hardware level the BIOS needs to support it and may require an update to do so.

Swarvey, Mar 11, 2010
Ask a Question