D150 with Windows Home Server

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ArbitrageMan, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ArbitrageMan

ArbitrageMan

So Ive been trying to get my D150 to work with my WHS setup. All the other computers in the house (XP or VISTA) backup to WHS without issue. My one, with the WHS connector running, fails every time it tries to do a backup. The error message is"

Code:
    "The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot. To resolve this problem, try running "chkdsk /f /r" on each of your hard drives and restart your computer." 
    Ive run chkdsk /f /r multiple times, and still I get the same message. Anyone had any success connecting their one to WHS?

ArbitrageMan, Feb 27, 2009
  2. ArbitrageMan

Plastikman

I'm not familiar with WHS at all, but, ill take 2 way off the wall guesses... keep in mind it has been a long while since i have touched XP home...

1. windows xp home is missing a lot of networking stuff needed for a networked domain and it is defiantly missing "windows back up". that was the selling point of home, you Cannot do networked domain stuff for a price cut for Joe blow user..
    or.. you can see it as M$ trying to further gouge those that can't get around it. (business that probably were already forced to buy 2 XP licenses. one from the hardware vender and a corporate licence from M$ for each PC plus a server seat.).

i think home lacks "volume shadow Copy"? this is a needed service...

also...check

COM+ Event System
    COM+ System Application
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

see windows home vs pro whitesheets

Check the compatibility with WHS and XP Home. You might need to upgrade to Pro.

2. Possible driver issue with the AHCI?

Check driver, if no go, try switching the sata to IDE compatibility in the bios? (this one is a long shot and unlikely)

edit, 3: is there a possibility the authentication is failing?

Plastikman, Feb 28, 2009
  3. ArbitrageMan

themediaman

I'm also running WHS, but my AAO is running Windows 7. However, I've had the same problem so the solution might also be the same.

The problem happens because 1) the transfer load seems to kill the wifi driver or 2) I walk away from the AAO and it goes into sleep mode, canceling the backup.

If it's #1 and if it consistently fails on backup, try connecting with an ethernet port to the router and initiating a manual backup. If that works, search this forum for more stable drivers.

If it's #2, try extending the amount of idle time before going into sleep mode, or keep your AAO active while a backup is running in the background. If that works, do what I did and just select "Ignore this warning for this computer" from within the WHS console. That way, even if it doesn't back up once every five days it won't be bugging you about it.

Let me know if you've tried these already, and if it doesn't work.

themediaman, Mar 2, 2009
Ask a Question