D150 with Intel 5100 802.11n wifi card?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Epedemic, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Epedemic

Epedemic

Hi

Im thinking of pulling out the atheros card and replacing it with a intel 5100 card which comes fairly cheap. And i have 2 worries:

1. Will the existing antenna(s) work with the 5ghz feature with no problems, as i intend to use 5ghz at home due to 2.4ghz beeing fairly crowded here (have a 5ghz router already)

2. Will the hardware switch still work with a non-default card?

I hope someone have already tried this and can give me some advice :)

Epedemic, Jun 3, 2009
  2. Epedemic

John_D_NH

Yep - it sure should work. I'm running an Intel 4965AGN Wireless N card in mine (not the 5100, tho').. A couple of comments...

Obviously - you'll have to reinstall the drivers for the Intel card. As well - the 4965AGN uses three antennas, while your (and mine) D150 only has two. You can use two antennas - but throughput will be limited by only two antennas. My solution was to buy a pair of Hitachi antennas from eBay for $10 shipped - and installed one on the third PCIe card connector. It worked just fine. As well - before you ask if I tore apart my D150's screen for the 3rd antenna - nope - I didn't :) Rather, I mounted it next to (on top of actually, using part of an ESD bag between the card & the antenna) the card & the the PCIE vent screen and wrapped the extra wire length into the un-used space behind the SATA drive bay. Even with that - I'm pulling 220 to 280Mbps through four walls with a N router.

No problems with the BIOS locking it out, either..

Hope this helps!

John_D_NH, Jun 4, 2009
  3. Epedemic

Epedemic

Thanks a lot. Im pretty sure the 5100 only has connectors for 2 antennas, whereas you need a 5300 to use 3 antennas, so that shouldn't be a problem. But regardin the switch to turn wifi on and off, is that still working for you ?

Epedemic, Jun 4, 2009
  4. Epedemic

John_D_NH

My pleasure.. As well - yes, the on/off switch still works without issues. But (you knew there just had to be a "but" ;) ) my install was for a different Intel wireless card, which I'm not sure would make any difference at all - but... :)

Again, hope this helps!

John_D_NH, Jun 4, 2009
  5. Epedemic

AspireOverdrive

As long as it is mini-pci-e it should work. The intel 5100 should work.

Once you get yours working, Im going to try to get one for this. I realllly like Intel wirelss cards.

AspireOverdrive, Jun 5, 2009
  6. Epedemic

Epedemic

Ok, i bought one and installed it, which was no problem... And for normal use it works just great... But if i transfer a large file i get 100% cpu usage, and the system is totally unusable untill the transfer is done... However if i connect using b or g only, or walk in the next room where the signal is poorer and the speed drops the d150 becomes responsive again... Is 802.11n really that cpu hungry compared to 802.11b/g?

Epedemic, Jun 9, 2009
  7. Epedemic

Fresh50

Any update to the high cpu problem? Thinking of trying this mod but want to know the status.

Fresh50, Jul 12, 2009
  8. Epedemic

radioman193

NO NO NO
    Hitachi antennas from eBay for $10

TYCO Antennas !!!!! are the Best better dbi = better range !
    i use them for all my laptop rebuilds and upgrades.

in This acer D250 I hane 4 of them 2 for B/G 1 for N and one for Bluetooth!

LOOK

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Tyco+a ... &_osacat=0

radioman193, Jul 12, 2009
Ask a Question