D150 high temps when using ext. monitor with lid closed

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rickc, Nov 2, 2011.

1. rickc

rickc

Hey all new member here....

I just replaced the fan on my wifes d150 (+ mod with heatsink) and got it running about 5-6 degrees cooler than before (idle went from 45 to avg 40 deg). Great, so i hooked it back up to her desk & plugged in everything including the external 15" lcd monitor she uses at her desk, changed the display to turn off the AA1 screen and only show on the external display and closed the lid...

As soon as i closed the lid, the temp shot up from 50 deg to 72 degrees. I cracked open the lid a little and it instantly went back down. Opened it up again and waited....the temp shot up and stayed hot again, stabilizing at 80-81 degrees! Opened the lid, and it went back down.

This was immediate, no chance it is the lid trapping warm air...it was too quick for that. The display did not change at all - the picture was on our external monitor the whole time....

Can anyone offer an explanation? seems truly bizarre to me...

(this is the core temp according to the program i'm using - Speedfan)

rickc, Nov 2, 2011
  2. rickc

Swarvey Moderator

As I recall, my old 150 drew air in from around the keyboard as well as other areas. Is it possible that by adding the heatsync mod and closing the lid, is it possible that the air flow is just too restricted now to let enough air flow freely? The heatsync mod will work but only if enough air can get past to cool the heatsync as it draws heat from the processor.

Swarvey, Nov 2, 2011
  3. rickc

rickc

thanks for that...i never noticed any holes around the keyboard for air, but i wasnt looking either...guess we'll just have to leave it cracked open at all times...

rickc, Nov 3, 2011
  4. rickc

Swarvey Moderator

I actually made up a spacer with a vent out of an old ice cream container lid. It sat under my keboard making for a firmer touch, the keyboard clipped in more precisely and gave it a bit more room to draw air in. There aren't any holes per say, but the fan was directly under my keyboard, not shrouded or anything, just completely expsed which alowed it to draw cooler air from above the processor, than the warm air already circulating inside the machine. Try making up a spacer if you want, or you can always remove the heat sync mod and see if it makes a difference.

Swarvey, Nov 3, 2011
Ask a Question