D150 get hotter (temperature wise) after 2GB memory upgrade?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jychow, May 9, 2009.

1. jychow

jychow

Hi all, as the title suggests, I mean the temperature, not anything else... :lol:

After I upgrade my AAO to 2GB with a Kingston unit, I can feel the CPU area is getting hot.... with the original 1GB, it is warm, but not HOT.

Anyone else has notice such changes? TQ

jychow, May 9, 2009
  2. jychow

John_D_NH

Just for comparison, I'm running a 2GB stick (533/667800MHZ - so it's all dressed up and no where to go ;) ) and my core temp us running about 74-82 degrees (C).. You can download core temp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) and see what the difference is/was with your old 1GB stick and new 2GB?? If I was at the office, where I left my 1GB memory, I'd do it for you for a comparison?

Hope this helps!

John_D_NH, May 9, 2009
  3. jychow

bailout

I have the 9" and upgraded the memory from 512 to 1.5 GB. Testing with powertop showed that the extra memory was consuming an extra 0.5 watt of power at idle. Obviously more power equals more heat. I haven't done so yet but I am thinking of taking the extra memory out to save power and boost battery life as I don't really need it.

bailout, May 13, 2009
  4. jychow

jychow

my D150 exhibits the same higher temp with 2GB memory as well. It is also a Kingston, but not sure whether it is the brand and not 2gb memory that is causing it.

BTW, I also notice that with 2GB, startup and overall system performance is not as fast. now I am happily using 1GB memory and no issue with what so ever.... maybe it was meant to be : ATOM + WIN XP + 1GB RAM :lol:

jychow, Aug 23, 2009
  5. jychow

hanso

No problems here with 2 GB upgrade, I used a PC2 6400 DRDR2 800 MHz type. Just a bit faster than the Kingston you have, and perhaps cooler because its being underclocked and uses less power.

Do not expect miracles when going from 1 GB to 2. It will let the PC boot faster, and allow to run heavy applications smoother. Heavy is not browsing and reading email though. More memory means less diskaccess, so it will take some power and save some power on the disk (less paging). Depending on the way you use the PC, and how aggressive your power settings are when the PC is idle and the power usage of the 2 GB compared to the 1 GB, it may not really affect the running time of the battery.

hanso, Aug 23, 2009
Ask a Question