D150 bios update went wonky (1.07 to 1.13)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by mumyoryu, Nov 16, 2010.

1. mumyoryu

mumyoryu

Hello guys, Im having a problem with my AOD150 (KAV10) after a bios update.

I recently bought this netbook used from someone on ebay and when I received it, I did a fresh install of Windows 7 onto it; worked great, only problem was I didn't have any audio. I tried installing the necessary drivers and such but Windows did not recognize any audio devices. When I looked in the device manager there were no realtek audio devices or anything, and that got me pretty flustered. I figured maybe a BIOS update could fix this problem, so I went to the site to download v1.13, and tried to install it through Windows (I should have known better not to!).

During the install it restarted by itself and gave me endless boot loops. Start, Windows loading screen, BSOD, Start, Windows loading screen, BSOD, etc, etc. I thought it was a bad bios flash, but when I went into the BIOS it was reading the correct version, 1.13 so I guess it pulled through. I went ahead and tried to do another fresh install, but another problem! My hard drive wont show up during installation =(. I tried changing "SATA Mode" from IDE to AHCI in the bios. That did the trick, the drive shows under the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen, but I cannot install it onto the disk because it says "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk." I had the same problem during my fresh installation earlier, and switching from AHCI to IDE did the trick, but now the drive isn't recognized whenever I switch it to IDE. Argh. All this just for some bad audio >_<.

Will reverting back to BIOS v1.07 help solve this problem? Is flashing to an older version even possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Sorry if my desciptions, wording sound off; im just abit flustered and cant really think straight.

mumyoryu, Nov 16, 2010
  2. mumyoryu

mumyoryu

Update: I tried flashing the BIOS with the "fn-esc" method (Blind Flashing?) just to make sure my previous flash didn't go bad. I could not do it with any of the previous versions because they lacked the files needed (only v1.13 had the batch, fd, and flashit files; previous versions only contained the windows exe).

The flash went successfully, but im still having the same problem. One thing I did not mention previously though: right after the flash the netbook restarted and I got a black screen with the following text:
    Code:
    Intel UNDI, PXE--2.1 (build 082)

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v1.0.0.13 (2008/10/15)
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

(After a few seconds of waiting...)
    No Bootable Device -- Insert Boot Disk and press any key
    I had this same screen after trying to update the BIOS in windows. It just keeps looping until I restart the netbook. BIOS is set to default so I have to change SATA Mode from AHCI to IDE again, and it still doesnt work.

Maybe the BIOS update screwed up my HDD controller? =(

I am going to try a different hard drive later this week to see if that works; just need to get my old laptop back from a friend. Though if my drive controller really is gone it probably wont work.

Does anyone have any older versions of the D150 BIOS with the "FLASHIT", batch and fd file?

EDIT - Tried installing Ubuntu 10.04 and I get the same problem; drive not recognized in IDE mode, but in AHCI mode it is displayed and I can even install Ubuntu onto it. I can't boot with the drive in AHCI mode though, and trying to boot in IDE mode gives me a "Gave up waiting for a root device" error.

mumyoryu, Nov 16, 2010
  3. mumyoryu

Swarvey Moderator

Sounds to me like either the BIOS version is buggy and causing problems, or your motherboard could be on it's way out. I definately agree with trying another hard drive some time soon though. Corruption of the hard drive or even a virus could explain a few of the problems you're having.

Have you got an XP disk there? you could try nLiting the AHCI drivers into that to see if it will install on your current drive.

Swarvey, Nov 16, 2010
  4. mumyoryu

mumyoryu

Swarvey, thanks a bunch for the suggestion, ill give it a try as I do have an old XP disk on me. Im not familiar with nLite though so I will have to do some research :D

mumyoryu, Nov 17, 2010
  5. mumyoryu

mumyoryu

Update - nLiting was pretty easy; I was able to make an XP flash drive with the SATA drivers from Acer's website slipped in, and install went smoothly. XP works! I am still having the same problem with Windows 7 and Ubuntu not showing my drive though. I guess I will just use XP.

Thanks again Swarvey for the suggestion!

Edit: My XP installation was running really slow; startups took 2-3mins, and overall it just felt sluggish. I decided to try and flash my BIOS back down to 1.07, and it worked out quite well! Startup felt much faster and more 'natural' if that makes any sense. I can also install Windows 7/Ubuntu now; my drive actually shows up.

I guess 1.13 is just a bad BIOS for the KAV10. And now I know, and knowing is half he battle :mrgreen:

Now back to my original problem, no sound devices.....

mumyoryu, Nov 20, 2010
  6. mumyoryu

synpse

Any update on the audio issue?

I have a D150-1165 and have the same problem.

I started with BIOS 1.03 and the black screen problem. Then did the Fn+Esc to update the BIOS to get the screen back.

BIOS 1.11 and 1.13 just don't work. Either I couldn't see the hard drive, or couldn't install to a partition on the disk.

Anything lower works fine. I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed, using IDE mode.

synpse, Jul 16, 2011
Ask a Question