Custom Speedstep - Adjusting multiplier with lowest voltage

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by N270, Sep 24, 2008.

1. N270

N270

I have found a temp work around for clocking the CPU higher than the speedstep default 800 MHz x6 multiplier setting.
    Use a program called CrystalCPUID, then set File -> Mutliplier Management Setting to min, middle, and max to the highest possible you can, change the up/down threshold to 5%. Then set Function -> Multiplier Management to ticked (or just press F3). Change some of other ms timings if you wish.
    Your Asprie One should rarely speedstep to 800 MHz.
    I have set x11 multiplier which gives 1463 MHz @ 1.013V (the full x12 multiplier for me results in a BSOD).
    Depending on which multiplier you use x11 and under, the CPU will still step up to 1596 MHz at maximum VID.
    Voltage control cannot be set, it will just stay at the lowest voltage and then jump to the maximum voltage occasionally at full load.
    You may have a lucky CPU, or it has low stock VID, it could be possible to run your Aspire One with the x12 multiplier at 1596 MHz using only 1.013V!

Good luck. Post you results or findings here.

N270, Sep 24, 2008
  2. N270

Frojd

Thanks for the small guide, I'll try it later (didn't become friends with CPUID last time I tried :p)

Frojd, Sep 25, 2008
  3. N270

N270

In therory if you can get your Aspire One to run with the x12 multiplier at 1596 MHz using only 1.013V, then yes better battery life and less wear on the CPU.
    It also should result in more work done as the processor is always ready at full speed, a snappier experience
    The CPU does not use much power anyway, the chipset uses more, and does netbook in general.
    All in all, it is the only way I know of such to make the Aspire One change multipliers manually. I still do not know of any way to overclock or change the voltage.

N270, Sep 26, 2008
  4. N270

Daijoubu

I have yet to see a CPU die from wear :lol:

Daijoubu, Sep 29, 2008
  5. N270

askaaron

The N270 has a TDP of only 2,5 W. Even if you can manage to save 30% of energy with this mod - it only gives you about 0,75 W maximum saving. Since the whole system needs about 6 to 9 W, depending on usage, WLAN etc. this means just 15 to 20 minutes more runtime with the 3-cell battery. And this is just the highest value, one can expect - usually, the CPU uses much less power anyway. The chipset, WLAN and the backlight of the display need much more power.

Just compare this to desktop systems - a Core 2 Duo also runs at lower speeds without load (e.g. a E6420 also starts at x6). And i this CPU is even with 2,1 GHz faster than its predecessor Pentium D at 3 GHz.

The Atom is not so fast - even at 1,6 GHz it is slower than a Pentium 4 at the same speed - this is just the simple design. It is not meant as a high-performance CPU. On the other hand - no other CPU just uses 2,5 W at full load!

askaaron, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question