Custom Resolution with the gma 950?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by phatbb, Sep 28, 2008.

1. phatbb

phatbb

Everytime I connect the A1 to my 42" plasma the resolution automatically changes to 800x600 and I am unable to adjust it. The image gets stretched out and widescreen movies look horrible. I'm runny tinyvista and using wmp11 for playback. Is the GMA950 limiting this or is it something else all together?

phatbb, Sep 28, 2008
  2. phatbb

pharoah

Re: VGA output resolution only to 800x600

id say something else.im running my one on a samsung @ 1680x1050 resolution,and have had no issues running that resolution.check the intel website for any graphics updates for the video chipset.when doing this are you using the laptops screen as well?i use both screens myself at different reolutions,and not a problem doing that either.

pharoah, Oct 4, 2008
  3. phatbb

phatbb

figured out my tv will do 1360x768 max

is there a way I can force a custom resolution?

phatbb, Oct 5, 2008
  4. phatbb

digivampire

Most likely what you are doing wrong is that you are trying to use the clone mode for the 2nd video output (thus forcing your AA1 to output current primary resolution or the closest standard resolution available for standard video out). What you actually need to do is to change from clone mode to extended desktop. That will treat the other video output as a separate source and you can then manually select the resolution on which you want it to work. I have mine working at 1920x1200 without any problems.

Cheers

digivampire, Oct 10, 2008
  5. phatbb

Patric

I think that might be good advice. What the h*ll does it mean to "change from clone mode to extended desktop"? If I knew what it meant I might know how to do it. But then I wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. This linux/linpus system is enormously frustrating. I haven't got a clue how to proceed even after a question gets answered. The projector only works in 800x600 resolution and linpus on the AAOne only has one option for resolution and that ain't 800x600. The xorg
    file lists several resolutions on the modes line, but they are not selectable from the settings dialogue box. I hate Windows, but in it I can get things done and the answers are easier to come by. <sigh> This experiment is not going well. Please help a older newbie?

Patric, Nov 8, 2008
  6. phatbb

Patric

I have the problem resolved, and my attitude adjusted for the better. Sorry for whinging. Turns out that to change the display resolution on a n external monitor [read projector] one must have the projector plugged into the AAOne at that moment, and select from 'Display Settings' on the desktop the option 'display only on external monitor'. Then just select the desired resolution. <sigh> Problem solved. Now on to the next one. Thanks for your help and patience.
    Patric

Patric, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question