Custom One Themes (5 Colors)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by fitchie, Aug 17, 2008.

1. fitchie

fitchie

Hello all, I'd like to start with they really aren't themes but 5 customized wallpapers, task bar, and search bar graphics to match your personal One. After owning my One for just a day the default desktop appearance really started to bug me because it did not match the color of my one. A former coworker used to say "it's all about matching!"

The screen shot below is for the Sapphire Blue theme:
    [attachment=4:eek:yz8c974]Sapphire_Blue.png[/attachment:eek:yz8c974]

Installing the Theme
    Well it's not really installing you just need to copy the 3 files for each color into the right place:

File 1: /usr/share/search-bar/search-bar.desktop.png
    File 2: /usr/share/xfce4/bottom-bar.png
    File 3: /usr/share/backgrounds/images/Home-bk.png

While I have no idea if it is the best way to replace these files, I opened a terminal, elevated to super user, then ran thunar.

I hope you enjoy!

Patrick

P.S. The desktop wallpapers are originally from the new Dell Inspiron laptops.

fitchie, Aug 17, 2008
  2. fitchie

fitchie

Couldn't attach all files and the screen shot to the same post so here is the 5th file Black.

fitchie, Aug 17, 2008
  3. fitchie

Sid

Nice, it's good that everything can be customized, thanks,

Sid, Aug 17, 2008
  4. fitchie

Nazerel

This is really great. Thanks!

Nazerel, Aug 20, 2008
  5. fitchie

Ceno

hey man,

the wallpapers kick ass, I love the black one. thx a lot!
    One thing I was trying to do was alter the background of each section (connect, work...) so did it had fake transparency. But I couldn't find the right .png's, do you have any idea where they are?

Ceno, Aug 20, 2008
  6. fitchie

Donat

Code:
    /usr/share/backgrounds/images/
    is what you're looking for. HOWEVER you cannot simply set the transparency of the PNG, or more precisely my experience showed that whatever runs the desktop overrides the transparency setting, and make the PNG fully opaque regardless. That being said, some PNG have transparent pixels, so there is hope. Obviously this does not rule out the brute force approach of figuring out the spacings between all the panels and generating panels that simulate transparency for whatever background you happen to be using...
    Will post if I find anything new.

Donat, Aug 20, 2008
  7. fitchie

Ceno

hm, those pngs are bigger than the areas in the desktop, but I'll give it a try anyway.thx

When I said fake transparency, I meant as fake as it gets lol. I want to alter the image in gimp so that it overlaps the wallpaper exactly in the right place, put some percentage of transparency and then save it as an opaque png. It's more than possible. Just has to be precise.

Ceno, Aug 20, 2008
  8. fitchie

Ceno

Ok, I did just the 4 sections that appear, but it looks pretty cool
    To install you only have to extract the .tar attached to /usr/share/backgrounds/images/ , like in the first post. If it doesn't work normally maybe you need root privileges.

Low quality screenshot attached.

Ceno, Aug 21, 2008
  9. fitchie

fitchie

Awesome man! thanks for the addition to my work. I have installed them and they look great. :mrgreen: I just had a thought you should apply the transparency to the backgrounds for the expanded listing (when you click on the little arrow)

fitchie, Aug 22, 2008
  10. fitchie

Donat

Hey, nice one. Was going to get round to that eventually. So how did you deal with the bigger PNG so that it fits with the backbround? did you remake them in smaller?

Here's what I've done so far. Requires a LOT of fiddling in various parts, and It's still work in progress, so I can't really share right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donat, Aug 22, 2008
  11. fitchie

robert_simpkin

Litterally Bloody Brilliant! :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

robert_simpkin, Aug 28, 2008
  12. fitchie

dinkydarko

hey, where did you get those lovely icons?

dinkydarko, Aug 29, 2008
  13. fitchie

Ceno

I completly forgot about this thread, damn.
    What I did was resize the original pngs to their actual size. I think the desktop itself does that, I didn't actually try it but I'm guessing you can put an image of *any* size that it will handle it.

The full section pngs are a bit trickier, maybe it was the damn touchpad, or that god forsaken gimp, but I wasn't able to do it in less than 15m so i just quit lol

Ceno, Aug 31, 2008
  14. fitchie

Donat

Oh hey, thanks !

getting the grey stuff is easy, just run all the files through the desaturate command in photoshop or anything else.

The icons are a whole other kettle of fish.

David Lanham's amazing sticker icons, available from iconfactory. getting them onto the aspire one requires converting them to png (128x128 is fine) and linnking to wherever you put them (/usr/share/pixmaps/ for me) in all your .desktop files (/usr/share/applications).

quite simple, but VERY slow.

Donat, Sep 1, 2008
  15. fitchie

dinkydarko

i have just about all the icons i want working. i used http://www.convertico.com/ on my windows machine at work (during lunch!) to convert the icons.
    My only problem is getting skype to show up, keeps buggering up my group-apps.xml. in fact is just resets it to factory which was a pain the firstime as i didnt make a backup. fool.

so if you are going to try messing with the icons i recommend making a backup of the group-apps.xml (as you should when you mess about with it at all really)

dinkydarko, Sep 2, 2008
  16. fitchie

acer3ie

Hi dinkydarko,

I am glad that I am not the only one having this problem.

I would like to know from any one if there is there any way to cgange the defailt one with the one in modded and I know it works so I do not have to keep coping the backup one when I mess up

acer3ie, Sep 2, 2008
  17. fitchie

dinkydarko

is it just a problem with skype you have? or everything?
    I'll be trying to get skype working with the alternative icons i was using again later today.

dinkydarko, Sep 2, 2008
  18. fitchie

acer3ie

I have found the one it keeps going back to if their is someting wrong.

copy the modded group-app.xlm that works to /usr/share/pixmaps. you will have to use command line (terminal) to do it also you have to be root

here is how I done it

sudo bash

cp /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml /usr/share/pixmaps/group-app.xml

then you will be asked to overrite it just toye y for yes and the press enter

the defaul one is now over written woth your modded one so if you mess up it will restore your modded group-app.xml file.

dinkydarko

it would happen to me when I would try to change the icons in fun group so it is not just skype.

if you go into the folder with the icons in it. which is /usr/share/applications then open the sortcut with mousepad and look the top bar i.e if you open the firefox web brower the top bar would have in it "mozilla-firefox.desktop

acer3ie, Sep 2, 2008
  19. fitchie

galone

hi
    i just got my laptop today
    and i was wondering how do u go from user to super user "admin" thanks

galone, Sep 2, 2008
  20. fitchie

Shad0wguy

Got the sapphire blue one installed and working fine. Love it! Thanks a lot!

Shad0wguy, Sep 11, 2008
Ask a Question