Currys PC World laptop advice

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by SiberianCat, Aug 30, 2018.

1. SiberianCat

SiberianCat

Good morning,

I would like to buy a new laptop from Currys PC World. Please, click the link below, and advice me, which ones are the best to fit my criteria:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/315_3226_30328_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

I feel a bit overwhelmed with so huge choice of laptops available, so it is very difficult to decide, which one is the most suitable.

I need a laptop, which I am going to use mostly at home watching films, listening to music, web searching. It is also important to have Microsoft Office package (such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Adobe (PDF), Access), because I might often go to college with it, or when travelling abroad.

Criteria:
    1. Fast, SSD Drive
    2. Long-lasting without charging, quite good battery life
    3. Windows OS
    4. Intel Core I3 or I5 or I7 (maybe)
    5. Considering if it worth to have Full HD
    6. RAM: possibly 4GB or 8GB
    7. Possibly integrated video card (because I don't play computer games)
    8. Light weight, compact
    9. I don't want laptop to overheat too much

Another thing is that I am a bit worried if I need exactly a laptop, because, usually I am spending my time at home watching films or Youtube. The old laptop was all the time plugged to the charger. I had a chromebook, which was mostly plugged at home, and after couple years the battery was dead (because of it), but still I was bringing it to college sometimes to write down the notes using Word, Excel.

Maybe it is worth buying a Desktop PC for a cheaper price and same quality as a laptop or even better? If I need to make notes at college, maybe I should consider buying also a tablet with a keyboard or netbook (or Chromebook) to take it to college for making notes. I like watching films so much, so I am considering buying a home projector (home cinema) or a large TV screen, which I am going to connect to any device such as laptop, smartphone, desktop PC to watch films online.

Here is a link for list of tablets:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/andro...003_xx_ba00010673-bv00308595/xx-criteria.html

Here is a link for list of Desktop PCs:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...top-pcs/317_3055_30057_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Can you please advice what's better and cheaper, or more rational to buy: laptop, Desktop PC or tablet?
    If you can, please, just insert, e.g. 2 links for laptop, 2 links for Desktop PC, 2 links for tablets.

I am thinking about Desktop PC (because I mostly sit at home, and laptops were plugged to charger all the time) and a tablet with a keyboard (for travelling and college).

Sorry, for so much text, but I am really confused what should I buy. If no advice will be, I might buy something just using my own logic and feelings. :))

Best regards,

Arthur

SiberianCat, Aug 30, 2018
  2. SiberianCat

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

A laptop is more versatile

A tablet is very handy, but restrictive if you need to print things, collect college course notes ,keep home records etc.

If you do go for a tablet you will require 16gb ram, you will find 8gb is used up very fast, most of the systems, and associated files will be taking up this space.

I have to admit it is a minefield.

You will need to do a little homework to get the best one not only for your price range,but needs.

LAPTOP REQUIREMENTS YOU NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR

You will need: 8gb ram, Minimum 500 gb hard drive

A decent cpu, don't be fooled by the i3,i5,i7 rating.

This is where the homework comes in, take a note of all the cpu numbers of the laptops
    you are liking, and look at this site,it will help you to rank them in order of power.

Https://www.passmark.com

something back, Aug 30, 2018
Ask a Question