ctrl+F4 doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jtown, Aug 28, 2008.

1. jtown

jtown

I feel like a complete idiot but this one has me stumped. Brand new HD/XP/1G model with very little software loaded. I haven't done anything "weird" to the setup but ctrl+F4 doesn't do anything. Either right or left ctrl. alt+F4 works. fn+F4 works. ctrl+F5 works. But not ctrl+F4. I suppose I can learn to close tabs with ctrl+w but I'm an old dog and F4 is ingrained in my head.

Am I missing something?

jtown, Aug 28, 2008
  2. jtown

mazade

What web browser are you using? or is this even a web browser..?
    Yeah that is kinda bizarre.. but maybe it has to do with the type/version of the browser. o.0

mazade, Aug 28, 2008
  3. jtown

wackyd

Nevermind me.

wackyd, Aug 28, 2008
  4. jtown

jtown

Both FF3 and IE7. It doesn't seem to be an application-specific issue. Any application that would use ctrl+F4 to close a window fails to respond to the command. (Tho I only have 4 of those type of apps installed that I can think of.) It's like that combo's been remapped to a different code.

jtown, Aug 28, 2008
  5. jtown

mazade

Well I have experienced such things.. but with different key combo's, though not on the AAO keyboard. Perhaps the input controller of the keyboard has some small glitch with it. Have you tried different "control" functions.. copy/paste perhaps? I know you mentioned that f4 works with other key-combo's.

mazade, Aug 28, 2008
  6. jtown

jtown

As I said, ctrl+F5 works. While I didn't explicitly state it, ctrl+w works as well. It's the one combination of ctrl+F4 that doesn't work. (Well, the one combination that I've tried that doesn't work; there may be others). As I said, other <modifier>+F4 combinations such as alt and fn work. So the ctrl key works and the F4 key works. They do not, however, work together.

jtown, Aug 28, 2008
  7. jtown

jtown

Weird. I thought I posted a reply to this. As I said, ctrl+F5 works and other modified F4 combos work. Both ctrl and F4 keys function correctly as long as they're not used together. This is not limited to the built-in keyboard. I'm currently using a USB keyboard and it does the same thing.

Since this machine is stock, I figured it must be a pretty common problem with this model. All I've done is run microsoft update, remove the yahoo toolbar and mcafee software (replaced with AVG). I installed 4 or 5 pieces of software (none related to keymapping) and that's it. Whatever's causing this has to be part of the original software load. :p

jtown, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question