crystal eye webcam not working

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by edfdave, Sep 29, 2010.

1. edfdave

edfdave

I've had a aod250 for less than 11 months. Suddenly the webcam has stopped working. At start up I initially started getting messages about 'new hardware found' & the install wizard would kick off followed eventually by messages about 'usb device not recognised' and suggestions to 're-connect the hi-speed usb hub device to another port' (or something along those lines). Now it seems to not recognise that it exists at all e.g. in windows moviemaker I g :?: et the message 'cannot detect video capture device'. I've asked a question on Acer's uk website but it has not been at all helpful so far. I do get odd messages from time to time, mainly 'usb device not recognised' fairly randomly (or so it seems to me). I'm a novice so am a bit nervous about what 'try reinstalling drivers'might actually mean for example. Help please?!

edfdave, Sep 29, 2010
  2. edfdave

edfdave

I've been looking thru this forum and have found a number of people who have had standby problems that seem to have been related in some way to the SUYIN drivers for this webcam. This reminded me of some other things I've experienced recently ...

For a while before this problem, my battery would not charge up to 100%, it would stay on 90% and the LED would stay orange. Since then this problem has gone away and it now appears to completely charge up, at least it reports 100% and the LED goes green.

I'm pretty sure that this problem with the webcam began when I re-started the netbook after it had gone to sleep (thru' being left unused for a period of time). Is it likely that these 'symptoms' are related ? If so can anyone summarise for me what I should try and how please ? Removing' the SUYIN driver and using a 'generic windows driver' seems to be favoured. I have no real idea where to start tho'.

(Also, if I've posted this in the wrong forum can someone tell me where it should go please ?)

edfdave, Sep 29, 2010
  3. edfdave

KBacer

I am having essentially the same issue with my Acer (don't know model #, the sticker's worn off the bottom, and I don't see info in system info, but it's intel atom processor 160gb 1 gb ram, bought July 2008 in US). Haven't experienced the 90% power thing, but everything else is the same. I finally got tired of the spastic USB Device Not Recognized messages and disabled, and then uninstalled driver for what came up as Unknown Device. Neither helped, the message kept coming up. However, I read somewhere that unplugging the computer and removing the battery for a moment would reset the USB drives. That did re-enable the Unknown Device, and I haven't gotten the Device Not Recognized pop-up again. However, now I have no web cam. Previously, it would come and go seemingly at random. Also, my audio recorder is FUBAR (and has been presumably since purchase, at least since first time I tried using it!). Just lots of static and the occasional indication that it is at least sort of picking up the speech, but faintly and behind TONS of static. wondering if the two are related, as the USB recognition issue seems to be aggravated by moving the screen angle.

Interesting to hear that the camera drivers might play a part... how does one go about changing or checking those when the camera is not even coming up as existing??? Any and all assistance on either the web cam or audio recorder will be greatly appreciated.

KBacer, Oct 18, 2010
Ask a Question