Creating Shortcut on Acer Shotcut Bar

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pete-one, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Pete-one

Pete-one

Hi All.

New user here, I have found my way around the linux desktop by enabling the right click to show the real linux not acer's desktop, I have installed korganiser and would like this to have a shortcut in the "work" shortcut bar on the acer desktop, this would stop me from having to bypass the acer desktop to use it, i would also like this to start when the system starts as it will be in use everyday as my system is to be used mainly as an organiser and e-mail tool. any ideas how this can be done, if not then i will replace the acer desktop with kde, as you may tell i am not a novice with linux currently on my desktop running under virtual i have 11 versions of linux running, this acer desktop is the only desktop i have found that is "locked" down in this way, after contacting acer they seem to not want to part with the information, asking them for a proper manual is interesting to say the least they just point you to the useless pdf on the system,.

Any help on the shortcut appreciated, or if you think I should dump the acer desktop please advise if it is worth it, will the one run it ok? my 1gig memory upgrade from crucial will be going in shortly this may help with kde, is the Atom capable of running kde ok? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards

Pete.

Pete-one, Dec 10, 2008
  2. Pete-one

markh

To add new icons to the desktop, this guide is as good as any: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05 ... page3.html

Use the command xfce4-autostart-editor in a terminal to launch a dialog box which allows you to select applications to autostart.

There are quite a few options for switching away from linpus here on the forums, just have a browse around.

markh, Dec 10, 2008
  3. Pete-one

Pete-one

Re: Creating Shortcut on Acer Shortcut Bar

Hi markh.

Thanks for the reply, the link looks very usefull, it is a shame that Acer decided in their infinite wisdom to ignore the fact that owners of their products would like to add shortcuts to the Acer desktop with ease, I think that the lack of "usability" that windows users take for granted will put people off using Linux which is a shame as main distro's of Linux are not locked this way, I can forsee times when a new Linux user buys the "one" with Linux as it is the cheapest option only to have issues such as this and decide never to use Linux again when in fact they are only using Acers front end, shame on Acer for adding to the myth that everyone must use Windows.

I assume that when I use the package manager to add programs such as korganiser it will show in the xfce autostart editor? if not can you search for it? i will follow the instructions to add the shortcut and the startup instruction and hopefully this will prevent the need for removing the Acer desktop in favour of kde.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Pete :)

Pete-one, Dec 13, 2008
Ask a Question