Creating notes in PDFs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Poelsa, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Poelsa

Poelsa

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to linux (bought my one yesterday), what I need is an advanced pdf-reader with the possibility of writing own notes and highlighting text in the file, much like Skim on OS X.

I have downloaded and tried xournal, and found it reasonably good, but compared to Skim the note-taking does not quite satisfy. In Skim you insert a textbox to write in, or you may inert just an icon, and do the notes next to the document, while in xournal, as far as i found, you had to write directly in the doc.

Anyone got tips on some great software out there?

Poelsa, Oct 10, 2008
  2. Poelsa

Elllipsis

Did you try OpenOffice? It has the ability to export as a PDF and include things such as side notes within it...just go into the "file" menu in OpenOffice and click on export as pdf... It brings up a bunch of options including if you want to include notes. To make a note in OpenOffice just go to "insert" and click on "note..."

Hopefully that is what you are looking for.

Elllipsis, Oct 10, 2008
  3. Poelsa

Poelsa

As far as I know, there's not possible to open a pdf in openoffice. As these files are originally pdfs this is not a possibility

I'm a student and I have pdf files of presentations in which i would like to write notes and comments.
    Without this possibility I would have to write my notes in an external file, and also have two documents open at the same time switching between them.

An alternative would be exporting pdfs to ppt and writing the notes in them, but I do not think that is an easier operation.

Poelsa, Oct 10, 2008
  4. Poelsa

malmjako

Inkscape might be an option. I don't know right now which version is in the repositories, but the latest one can import PDF. I think you have to select one page at a time though. I too would like a good tool for this!

malmjako, Oct 10, 2008
  5. Poelsa

rbil

rbil, Oct 12, 2008
  6. Poelsa

RockDoctor

Try openoffice.org 3.0 - it'll allow edits of pdfs.

RockDoctor, Oct 21, 2008
  7. Poelsa

cpchan

The OP wants to (non-destructively) annotate the PDF file and not to extract the text or import it in to a wordprocessor . The only Linux based PDF reader that can do this at this point is OKular (KDE4). This feature also will be in a future version of Evince.

As a side note both Kword and OpenOffice.org Writer can import PDF files. Kword have had it for a few years now.

cpchan, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question