Create USB recovery from the DVDs

Discussion in 'Windows' started by neopath, Feb 19, 2009.

1. neopath

neopath

Hi there,

I bought the SD XP version that came with 2 recovery dvds. After installing my own copy of xp pro and a multitude of linux distros I'd (finally) like to check out the "original" installation of Xp Home that came with it.

Question: Can I create a Bootable flashdrive version of the restore with these DVDs? I know the linpus recovery DVD come with the option to create such a thing when you boot from it, but I searched around (and tried to boot the recovery dvds from my desktop, of course) but I can't find any tutorial on the subject. Please refrain from suggesting an external dvd-drive. I'm want to do it without buying any other peripherals ( I do have the flashdrives though)

Thanks for any help.

neopath, Feb 19, 2009
  2. neopath

viatche

viatche, Feb 19, 2009
  3. neopath

snowwy66

i guess no one has the answer. i too have a150 recovery cd's, not dvd's. and would like to make a usb recovery over buying a rom drive. especially now that my netbook just got back from warranty. supposedly new board and hard drive were installed. but no operating system installed. installing windows isn't a problem but i'm done screwing around with my toy and want to have the facotry install back on.

2 cd's. anyone? ideas for putting the cd's onto usb for factory install.

xp is the install

snowwy66, Mar 5, 2009
  4. neopath

neopath

Well, I was tired of waiting so I borrowed an external DVD drive from a friend and reinstalled the factory install. Then I remembered why I had wiped the thing in the first place.

This thing is bloated beyond belief. Macafee internet security? Check. Google desktop? Check. Microsoft Office AND microsoft Works??? They even have a trial of powerdvd or something in there. WTF? You get my point. Even if you remove all that crap you still have a "dirty" system. Well, in my opinion anyway. I'm a bit anal-retentive when it comes to my OSes. I like to know what goes in there. Also, I think an anti-virus is just a waste of resources on the AA1. When you know what you're doing you don't need an anti-virus. Especially NOT Mcaffee. Anyways... you could always install AVG.

I already have a (legal) copy of Windows Pro that I had previously installed/tweaked with all the right drivers that I had ghosted just in case. It went back on my AA1 in no time.

My suggestion? Use the recovery CDs/DVDs as frisbees/cupholders and download a clean XP home iso from *cough*bittorrent*cough* and use your cd key. I even saw a torrent of XP Home with all the AA1 drivers already slipstreamed into the ISO floating around. You'll still need your cd-key though.

Good luck.

neopath, Mar 9, 2009
Ask a Question