Create apps on your device

Discussion in 'Android' started by sparkster, Sep 13, 2015.

1. sparkster

sparkster

Most Android app developers would usually create their apps on a PC using software like Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA. However, rather than spending loads of time having to set up your development environment and clogging your computer up with bulky software, there is another solution - an Android app called AIDE (Android Integrated Development Environment) which can be downloaded on to your Android tablet PC or smartphone and which you can use to code apps. It's fairly easy to use, contains everything you need and automatically creates the correct file structure. It also allows you to export the apps you create to an .apk file, although you do need the paid version in order to do so. It's well worth it though and makes things a lot simpler.

sparkster, Sep 13, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. sparkster

IcyBC

Wow, this is good to know! My son probably would like to do this and I will definitely tell him to check it out!

IcyBC, Sep 14, 2015
  3. sparkster

Diane Lane

That sounds pretty interesting. I have a friend who's been considering creating some apps, so I'll share this information with him. Simpler is most often better, in my opinion. Any idea what the cost of the pro version of the app is?

Diane Lane, Sep 14, 2015
  4. sparkster

Sefie

Thanks a lot for sharing hat bit of info, ever since I found out my brother in law has created a lot useful apps he uses on a daily basis I've felt more and more intrigued with the idea or learning how this is done. I will definitely check this out.

Sefie, Sep 15, 2015
  5. sparkster

sparkster

Off the top of my head I think it's about £7.75 (about $15) so it's not that expensive and it's definitely worth paying for considering what it does. Having said that, I'll let you in on a little secret - when you test out your app to preview it, AIDE creates a temporary .apk file on your device in order to do so. After previewing your app, this .apk file doesn't get deleted! If you can go through the file system on your device and find it, then there's your app file which can be uploaded to Google Play!

sparkster, Sep 20, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  6. sparkster

Diane Lane

That's good to know, for sure. Hey, if an app is created and actually makes some money, the creator can then go back and pay for the professional version of the app-creating app :). That would be a win win for everyone involved! I mentioned it to my friend, and need to write it down, so I can give him the actual information/name of the app, so he can check it out for himself.

Diane Lane, Sep 22, 2015
  7. sparkster

sparkster

It's pretty good but it's a not a WYSIWIG (What You See Is What You Get) application. You need to be able to code in Java, XML, etc - basically, you need to know how to code in Android. If you're looking for a way of creating apps/games without doing any coding, then Game Maker Studio is a better option but it's only available on PC - it exports your apps/games to Android format though.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    sparkster, Sep 26, 2015
  8. sparkster

cheryllei9h

That sounds cool. I would love to learn to do that. I will have to check it out when I have some time.

cheryllei9h, Oct 24, 2015
  9. sparkster

sparkster

Bear in mind that AIDE, which you can download on Android, requires you to be able to code so you need to know some Java and some XML, which is not too difficult. Graphics is where it starts getting tricky. However, Game Maker Studio which you can download to PC/Windows is a WYSIWIG editor and there is no coding involved. You can easily create games with scrolling screens, custom graphics, etc by setting the properties of every detail or object in the game, include sound effects, music, etc and all without even a single line of code!

sparkster, Oct 24, 2015
  10. sparkster

vinaya

I have used some automated free softwares to develop android app. However, I don't have mush skills on this. Creating app on phone sounds very interesting. I have a question, Is this software open source.Or do I have to pay hefty price to use this android app development sofware.

vinaya, Feb 1, 2016
  11. sparkster

sparkster

Hey Vinaya, good to see you online again. The app is essentially free. You are supposed to buy a license key which doesn't cost much at all before the app lets you export your files to .apk format ready to be uploaded to Google Play. However, the app does store this .apk file on your phone's storage anyway without the key so it is possible to use it completely free if you wish to do so.

sparkster, Feb 12, 2016
Ask a Question