create an iso or cd from an usb recovery stick

Discussion in 'Linux' started by matthiasr, Sep 28, 2008.

1. matthiasr

matthiasr

Hi,

My recovery DVD is broken. I have created a recovery usb stick a few days before the dvd broke. How can i create an ISO or DVD from it. I just want to avoid, that i crash this stick.

Matthias

matthiasr, Sep 28, 2008
  2. matthiasr

rbil

You could purchase another recovery stick and then use the dd command to clone your old stick to the new stick. That would give you another functioning recovery stick should you ever require it.

Of course you could use dd to just image the existing recovery stick to a file. But you'd need some place to write that file for safe keeping. Do you have an external usb hdd you can use? Or a dvd burner? Or another Linux computer?

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 28, 2008
  3. matthiasr

matthiasr

I have an external dvd burner. I could also connect an external hdd with fat32 partition. If required i could create an ext2 or ext3 parition on it.

But i am not so familiar with Linux.

Regards,

Matthias

matthiasr, Sep 29, 2008
  4. matthiasr

rbil

Plug both your recovery stick and your external USB hard drive into your Aspire. Determine what /dev device has been assigned to each drive so you're sure about which one is the stick. Let's assume that your stick is /dev/sdb ... confirm this by doing:

sudo fdisk -l

If it is assigned something else, well use that. Then enter these commands to create an image of your stick to a file on your external harddrive:

sudo su -
    dd if=/dev/sdb of=<mount point of external harddrive>/stick.iso bs=2048

This command can take some time, so just wait until you're at a command prompt again. Then you'll know it's completed the job. The mount point of the external harddrive will be some directory under /media. Running the mount command will tell you where your external hard drive has been mounted to. You want to make sure you have this correct, then use that mount point in the command above. It could be something like: /media/disk-1, or it could be something else. Depends on which device was mounted first when you plugged them in. You can cd to that mount point to confirm that you're using the one that applies to your external hard drive.

The file stick.iso will then end up on your ext. hard drive in the directory you told it to. You can then burn this iso file to a DVD-R drive using something like K3B or Nero. Whatever software you have that will write an iso image to a DVD.

If your stick is 4GB or under in size, then the iso will be OK on a FAT32 drive. If the stick is larger, well FAT32 won't be able to handle a filesize larger than 4GB, so your external hard drive will need to be formatted ext2 or ext3.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 29, 2008
  5. matthiasr

donec

donec, Sep 29, 2008
  6. matthiasr

matthiasr

Hi,

thank you very much for your help. Made a copy from usb stick to usb stick and also stick to iso.

Regards,

Matthias

matthiasr, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question