Create a Recovery USB device

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rowantree, Sep 27, 2008.

1. rowantree

rowantree

Hi,

Don't really want to do this the way Acer says in the wee book with the DVD in case I break something on my main PC.

Is there another way? Can I just copy the files over onto the USB stick?

Thanks,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Sep 27, 2008
  2. rowantree

rbil

No you cannot. If you're worried about the process impacting your main PC, then disconnect the internal drive(s) on the PC before running the process.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 27, 2008
  3. rowantree

quilasip

Do not use the recovery DVD on a PC that has more than one hard drive. It will wipe out the partition of the second drive. There are several tools that will recover the partition table after that happens, but you can save yourself some headaches by using a PC with only one drive or disconnecting the drives before booting from the DVD.

I had a mini-heart attack yesterday when I tried to create a recovery USB for my Acer Aspire One on my main PC. I got an error 39 as soon as it started to write to the USB drive (supposedly) and when I restarted the main PC, the drive containing all of the photos from my recent vacation no longer existed. Most of the drive was backed up, but we had just spent about 6 hours organizing the new photos and that was not backed up. I used TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) to recover the partition and then created the recovery USB from my notebook.

Rob

quilasip, Sep 29, 2008
  4. rowantree

rowantree

You've put me right off now... I might try it at work instead... :D

rowantree, Sep 29, 2008
  5. rowantree

quilasip

Just to clarify from my earlier post, it doesn't wipe out the whole partition, just the partition table. The disk will look like it's completely empty, but using the TestDisk tool, which is free, you can recover the partition table. It is still a little scary to see your hard drive disappear like that though.

Rob

quilasip, Sep 29, 2008
  6. rowantree

rowantree

Nope, you've still put me off. This all seems a bit ropey, is there not an equivalent of Acronis True Image or something for Linux, can it not be done somehow like that?

Thanks,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Sep 29, 2008
  7. rowantree

Fuerst

Hi friends, I don't quite understand. does this mean you may mess up your regular PC by putting together recovery for Linpus Acers Nettop on your regular Windows PC?

This can't be true. had I known all this mess, I would never have bought this version on aspire One

any advice?

Fuerst, Oct 1, 2008
  8. rowantree

BlueNoser

I succeeded in creating a recovery USB using the Acer DVD.

I used a HP media center PC with win XP with 2 hard drives each with 2 partitions.

I did receive a choice as to the target, I selected a 2 GB cruzer USB.

I booted from the USB and 25 minutes later It was reinstalled then 20 more minutes I got the live updates installed.

Now, what I want is to back up the os a presently configured. Any hints?

BN

BlueNoser, Oct 2, 2008
  9. rowantree

RockDoctor

PartImage

RockDoctor, Oct 2, 2008
  10. rowantree

She

Too late! That's EXACTLY what happened yesterday :shock:
    200 gig's lost.. thanks for the link, I'll try ASAP

Update:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk worked! 5' to recover 200Giga. other people with double HD of italian AAO community enjoyed the tool!

She, Oct 7, 2008
Ask a Question