Crappy Graphics

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by TheShinyDemon, Aug 31, 2008.

1. TheShinyDemon

TheShinyDemon

I am trying to play simple 3D games and my the graphics are really rubbish.

I know some people here are playing 3D games successfully and I would like to know how??

TheShinyDemon, Aug 31, 2008
  2. TheShinyDemon

TheShinyDemon

Anyone?

3. TheShinyDemon

Guest Guest

this is a netbook, not a high powered games machine. the graphics are not crappy, they are excellent for its intended purpose

Guest, Aug 31, 2008
  4. TheShinyDemon

midgetdiablo

What exactly are you trying to play? If it's something simple, it should run on the One just fine just upgrade your graphics driver; however don't expect ths little device to run any modern games as dedicated graphics cards aren't intended for hardcore/casual gamers.

midgetdiablo, Aug 31, 2008
  5. TheShinyDemon

TheShinyDemon

Thanks for your constructive response.

Anyway, as an example I am trying to play Tux Racer and it seems to bee running on Software 3D only, as if Hardware acceleration needs to be enabled.

I am using the i810 driver and is up to date.

Is this right?

6. TheShinyDemon

judeh101

ummm, it is suppose to be the 945GSE driver, or simply Graphics Media Accelerator driver.
    i810 was the chipset I used back in the days of Celeron 370 and Pentium 3 370.....

judeh101, Aug 31, 2008
  7. TheShinyDemon

3earnhardt3

I was dissapointed by tux racer as well, till I switched to ubuntu. Since then I can play it with no flaws at all. So it seems there are some optimizations made to the linpus lite OS that cripple certain 3d games. even though I get the same glxgears and glaxium numbers as the linpus OS, 3d games perform better in ubuntu. Though as stated before, it is a NETBOOK.

3earnhardt3, Aug 31, 2008
  8. TheShinyDemon

TheShinyDemon

To try to put a stop to these "Its a NETBOOK" comments and have people start helping, let me state that I am also having problems with watching flash video such as the iPlayer and Youtube, the refresh rate seems poor for what is actually a pretty high spec machine regardless of its size.

9. TheShinyDemon

Sid

The problem is that netbook name or not, the One was not designed with all the bells and whistles in mind (even though many of us push the envelope a long way). Acer will be the first to tell us this, they designed it with the preloaded app's in mind.

FWIW iPlayer is running well for me on a slow (1meg) cable connection, and normal size Youtube is OK, but not 100% when running full screen.

Of course it may help that my One has 1.5gig ram.

Sid, Aug 31, 2008
  10. TheShinyDemon

3earnhardt3

The flash video problems are due to a lack of hardware acceleration with the current versions of flash. Also, the atom processor is not a high spec processor. It is about equal to a 1ghz celeron.

3earnhardt3, Aug 31, 2008
  11. TheShinyDemon

bensully

Hell I can play warcraft 3 and WoW on this thing with low settings no problem. It sucks cause the screen is so small, but it certainly can be done.

bensully, Aug 31, 2008
  12. TheShinyDemon

jackluo923

I believe it's a lot quicker than 1ghz celeron.

Back in those days, the SDRAM, HDD, are very slow thus limiting the performance.

Even though atom processor isn't very fast, i'll feel like it is a 2ghz pentium 4.

jackluo923, Aug 31, 2008
  13. TheShinyDemon

midgetdiablo

Some games may be incompatible with Windows XP cause they're just too old.

midgetdiablo, Sep 1, 2008
  14. TheShinyDemon

STEEEL

I just installed GTA3, Starcraft , TFC, CS and a few others. They run perfectly!
    I use use it mostly to watch movies at work and they look just fine. I installed divx and Media player classic and the movies look fine.

STEEEL, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question