Cracked screen - Can it be fixed by you

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by hades_leae, Jul 31, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leae

I know that lots of professionals say that when something goes wrong with your PC, take it to a shop. Well I cracked the corner of my laptop, and don't remember how I did it. I just want to know if I can fix it myself because it has nothing to do with system setting.

I've never heard of anyone fixing a broken computer screen, it's just the top corner and it's 3 inches deep, by 2 inches across. You can see leakage, but everything else works fine.

hades_leae, Jul 31, 2016
  2. hades_leae

Corzhens

Our home desktop's monitor had developed a thin horizontal line in the middle. When I asked the tech in the office, he said that it is a hardware defect and cannot be repaired since computer monitors are disposable nowadays. In a matter of months, another thin line appeared horizontally so now there are 2 thin lines dividing the surface of our monitor. But we have no intention to replace it for we have the plan to buy a new laptop.

In your case, I would say that it is like our home desktop's monitor - a hardware defect that cannot be repaired. So maybe the best is to check the warranty of your laptop if you can still have it replaced. Otherwise you have to live with the crack.

Corzhens, Aug 1, 2016
  3. hades_leae

SirJoe

If you look on YouTube you might be lucky and find someone fixing the screen of a laptop similar if not the same as yours. There are a lot of computer repair tutorials on YouTube, it's all a question of spending sometime there and finding the right video.

SirJoe, Aug 3, 2016
  4. hades_leae

acerme2

We've had the same problem recently and we toyed with the idea of replacing the lcd ourselves. In our case, the laptop's lcd damage covered a big part of the screen which made the laptop unusable, There are several videos on YouTube that will tell you how it's done if you're interested, but we decided against it and chose, instead, to connect it to an external monitor, a large one. Well, my brother has to wait until he can afford a new laptop so he has to deal with the loss of portability.

acerme2, Oct 2, 2016
  5. hades_leae

rz3300

Sounds like a big one. Unfortunately I would have to say take it into the shop too, but then again I am not really sure what they would do. Might want to start looking into a new one, or just getting so used to it to the point where you don't care, like I have done with my phone. A little harder with a computer though....best of luck.

rz3300, Oct 2, 2016
Ask a Question