CPU 100% When Lid Closed

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by scully, Feb 23, 2009.

1. scully

scully

Hello all,
    I have an Acer One with 10" screen. 2Gb RAM and XP Pro running SP3.
    I also have an Acer One with the 8.9" screen.

On the 10" when I plug an LCD monitor in and choose to display only on the monitor, and choose from the power options to do nothing when the lid is closed, My CPU goes to 100% and stays there until the lid is opened back up. As soon as it is open it drops back to normal. Close the lid spikes back to 100%.

I actually ordered 2 of these and both of the 10" models do this. The Task Manager shows System Task as the process eating up the CPU which is really very vague.

Doing the exact same thing on the 8.9" model does not exhibit the same behavior. It runs normally as it should.

Anyone experience this? Any thoughts?
    I found an obscure post about changing the ACPI lid driver in device manager. I followed that and got it to drop to about 50% utilization but one core is still spiked to the top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Scully

scully, Feb 23, 2009
  2. scully

shrimpcot

I have the same issue. Have you found a solution?

shrimpcot, Mar 19, 2009
  3. scully

scully

No and I did call tech support and they could not help the issue. They said they were aware of the problem and were working on it.
    I loaded the new 1.05 Bios today hoping it would resolve the issue but it did not.

Anyone else?

scully, Mar 19, 2009
  4. scully

Pup

Got the same problem. I would like to have it running closed as a kind of "server", having good performance on very low power consumption. Please let me know if you get any update from Acer.

Pup, Apr 26, 2009
  5. scully

TantalusFld

Maybe it is the external monitor keeping the system alive. With just the built in monitor, how would you know? Kind of like "does the refrigerator door light really go off" ?

TantalusFld, Apr 26, 2009
  6. scully

Pup

It has definitely nothing to do with external monitor, I have never had it connected. I've got a "spy in the fridge". Remote desktop. If you wonder about remote desktop to XP Home, try Google.

Anyway, there is also another spy - fan speed. It very closely corresponds to CPU load. Set power settings not to do anything when the lid is closed. Close lid - fan running. Open it again - noise gone after a short while.

Pup, Apr 26, 2009
Ask a Question