Couldn't do RAM upgrade: Screws too tight!!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jackc111, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jackc111

jackc111

Just attempted to upgrade the RAM in my AAO110-1626. I've been inside the guts of many towers and laptops, so this is nothing new or scary to me.

Anyone else's One have screws that were screwed in by none other than Hercules himself? I cammed out two of them trying to get in and nearly broke the keyboard connector as well. Had to give up because one of my screws simply would not come out and now it literally never will.

Anyhow, if you have to completely jack the One to give it a 50% boost in available RAM, maybe it's not worth it.

It probably would make a noticeable difference (I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy), but not enough to risk ruining the thing for good.

Just my two cents for anyone considering doing the same. If the screws underneath the battery are putting up a good fight, consider not moving forward because there's a good chance they're all like that.

jackc111, Dec 17, 2008
  2. jackc111

goofball

Re: RAM Upgrade: Not Worth It

Had no issues with any of the screws in mine. Nor the other 2 that have been worked on. Some were on tight but not to the point that they could not be removed without stripping.

goofball, Dec 17, 2008
  3. jackc111

judeh101

I guess I am lucky, all of my screws in my aspire one are easily removed :D
    try heating that spot with a heater or something.

judeh101, Dec 17, 2008
  4. jackc111

JimK

I had to try different screwdrivers. I started off with the small precision screwdrivers, but there was one stubborn screw they couldn't get. I finally got it with a full-size Sears Craftsman.

But I also have to wonder if it's worth it. It took me forever to get the keyboard tabs in (even after watching that guy on You Tube do it with ease using a credit card). In the process I scratched some paint off with a screwdriver when the credit card didn't work, I popped off the F8 key and now it's always loose, and I got a couple of those keyboard tabs stuck back in the housing so my keyboard is loose and bouncy. I don't really want to take the damn thing apart again to try and fix the tabs.

Luckily, the scratch isn't really noticeable since it's down in that crack and the F8 key usually stays on (unless I'm trying to work those tabs back out) and I can live with the springy keyboard, though I think sometimes it causes me to type repeat letters.

JimK, Dec 17, 2008
  5. jackc111

janss

I had 2 or 3 screws that were really tight, but I was able to get them out without ruining them for good....

Otherwise I think upgrading was worth it, I did see a performance boost going from 512 -> 1.5 GB on my SSD One. Also, the upgrade gave me the option to completely disabling the SWAP without affecting the performance and usability of the machine.

janss, Dec 17, 2008
  6. jackc111

rory

I had the same, one screw under the battery just gor stripped, and I ended up drilling it out...
    Think the thread title needs a-changing
    Rory

rory, Dec 17, 2008
  7. jackc111

kneemeister

I had the one on the top of the daughter bd give me fits, but i worked around it by leaving it in and removing the display hinge screws and kept that board attached to the display and removed them together, it was a little extra work getting the four hinge screws back in esp. when that ONE died three days latter so I had to gingerly do it all again to take it back to Wal-Mart for machine number 2. Which had screws that came out easily.

kneemeister, Dec 17, 2008
  8. jackc111

endlessnameless

I had the same trouble when I did my upgrades. They really don't want people messing with the internals. I had to fight with each and every screw. Then my hands started sweating and gettin slippery so I wrapped the slip cover of the aao around the screwdriver so I could get some grip, and eventually that worked....well that and a lot of high quality profanity :D

endlessnameless, Dec 17, 2008
  9. jackc111

Hampstead

I had trouble too. I found a 0pt pozidriv screwdriver done the job.

Hampstead, Dec 21, 2008
  10. jackc111

KillerStephen

I feel your pain on the screws. I ended up using some small channel locks on the small screwdriver. Press down with one hand, turn the channel locks with the other. worked like a charm.

And dont get me started on those stupid keyboard tabs. Jesus Christ.

All in all though, not too much work. Could be easier, but at least for me its always fun busting something open and seeing whats inside.

KillerStephen, Dec 21, 2008
  11. jackc111

Hampstead

There's a trick to the tabs.

Don't try and push them in. Just get two flat head jewelers screwdrivers in there. One either side and twist. It deforms the case and they ease straight out.

Can be done without leaving a mark too.

Hampstead, Dec 21, 2008
Ask a Question