corrupt operating system on Acer Aspire One

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by pjm200, Oct 19, 2008.

1. pjm200

pjm200

Hi,

Can anyone explain the following problem. Basically I was doing some file operations when the battery suddenly ran out of juice. When I switched the Acer Aspire One back on the system wasn't functioning correctly. The USB didn't work (so couldn't transfer photos off the unit), the networking didn't work, and many programs including xterm didn't work. Very strange, but almost certainly due to some corruption occurring due to the low power condition.

I was a bit lost on how I could transfer my photos off the solid state internal hard disk memory (short of making a custom USB boot disk that could read a unix partition). I couldn't use the recovery USB, as this would delete all the photos.

Anyway it suddenly all started working again (every function that had previously been a problem). I'm not sure what I did apart from select boot from network in the start up options (after pressing F12 from a cold boot), and since there was no network available the Acer defaulted to booting normally. I had also selected 'Recovery XP' previously from the right click System menu, but I can't see how this affected anything as nothing happened when I ran it. After this it all seemed to function.

Has anybody got any ideas what went wrong??????

Thanks.

pjm200, Oct 19, 2008
Ask a Question